VMware Communities
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No Ethernet Connection VMware Fusion 12 macOS Big Sur Beta 6

With the newly released version of VMware Fusion 12.0 I'm having the same problem I did with the Technical Preview in macOS Big Sur Beta 6.

When starting a Windows 10 x64 virtual machine, I receive the following error message:

Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network '/dev/vmnet8'. 

More information can be found in the vmware.log file.

Virtual device 'Ethernet0' will start disconnected.

Has anyone found a solution to restoring internet availability in the guest virtual machine?

Cheers

Tags (2)
128 Replies
TheMuffnMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Commenting to both thank you for sharing that as well as to retain it in my profile. This appears to have resolved most of the network wonkiness with Fusion 12.

0 Kudos
Malte1511
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This did not work for me with:

BigSur 11.1
Fusion 12.1
Previous Win10 64 machine

Worked fine on 10.15 with Fusion 11 VPN NAT was no issue - Now the thing is a mess on my 2020 13 MacBook Pro. I even upgraded Fusion as 11 was not working on 11.1.

Hope there is a solution for this....

0 Kudos
jordan50198
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All these issues, yet VMware still claim Fusion 12 is compatible with macOS Big Sur.

I’m not THAT bothered that I have to mess around with my network setup to get things working - I am annoyed that VMware are continuing to make profit by mis-selling a product. 

0 Kudos
fabioz23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i've still problem with MacOS 11.1 and 11.2RC with Fusion 12.1 when a Windows 10 VM has an interface in a bridge with integrated Macbook wifi interface.

The problem is a lossy data transfer, for example loading a web page misses some .js dependencies, with other protocols like WS-SOAP simply doesn't works.

If attach a usb-c gigabit ethernet  and move w10vm interface in bridge with the gigabit ethernet all works as normal.

whitby1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if the new release of Big Sur, 11.2 released 1 Feb, addresses this issue.

I still cannot connect to the network with Big Sur 11.1 and VMWare Fusion 12.1 (ethernet0 adapter issue) and VMWare Fusion 12.1 on Catalina (10.15.7) gives me broken pipe error messages, so sticking with Catalina 10.15.7 and VMWare Fusion 11.5.7 until this is all fixed. I need my VMs and I cannot afford to be without them or risk them being damaged due to the mess that VMWare and Apple have created with these new releases.

0 Kudos
fred55
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just installed the new release of Big Sur (11.2) vmware fusion is update (12.1.0) and still have issue with NAT

Only workaround : set all VM in bridged mode

0 Kudos
fabioz23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

very strange situation, i've exactly the opposite problem. Win10 VM in NAT is OK, in bridge with my wifi has wrong data transfer, in bridge with a usb-c Ethernet interface is OK.

0 Kudos
immixJeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a pretty awful bug... how the hell did this get past QA?

0 Kudos
GrayPenguin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks !!

Worked !

(this was a respose to 'Turn off stealth mode' in MacOS firewall)

0 Kudos
hd2659
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just adding the regression also affects my iMac (27", 2017) and workaround does not work, running Big Sur 11.2.0

0 Kudos
whitby1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After much experimenting and trying most of the solutions suggested here, I eventually found one that worked (ish) and subsequently noted that someone else had suggested the same approach.

Setup is: Big Sur 11.2.1 and VMware 12.1

VM is Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with 16 GB memory and 2 Processors allocated.

Host 13" MBPro connected via WiFi to network.

Standard option with Network Adaptor set to Autodetect (Bridged Networking) failed with Ethernet0 adaptor not detected and startup with no internet connection. I have not verified this operation on a machine that has an Ethernet connection to my network.

Setup changed to Bridged Mode WiFi and VM started up with no error and internet connection shown as working and connected. However download from internet was very intermittent and flaky. Speedtest showed 0 download speed even though I was able to access web pages, however anything with security failed. My Barracuda VPN would not connect. Strangly upload worked flawlessly.

Setup changed to Connect Network Adaptor, Share with my Mac (NAT) and VM started up correctly and showed an internet connection. Interconnection was stable and I could run the Barracuda VPN with no issues. 

Based on this all bridged connections fail and I could only get the NAT connection (Share with MAC) to function.

I am upgrading my 16" MBPro now to Big Sur and going to verify operation on that machine.

0 Kudos
hd2659
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

My clients require 2 networks, so I made an workaround by adding an "Apple USB Ethernet Adapter" to use with Interface 1 and using Ethernet for the other

Where are VMware's focus on this

0 Kudos
JavierIBM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The following changes resolved this issue for me. Please note that your mileage may vary and there is no guarantee that it will work for you on your particular workstation or configuration.  

Note 1: There may be some file and directory permission changes needed in order to make the changes to this file. 

On your Mac, edit the packet filter config (/etc/pf.conf) to add the comment and last two lines shown below near the top of the config file along with the rest of the NAT anchors. Note 2: They must follow the Apple anchors already in the file as shown below. Save the file after making the changes.
#
# com.apple anchor point
#
scrub-anchor "cisco.anyconnect.vpn"
scrub-anchor "com.apple/*"
nat-anchor "com.apple/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"
#ADDED the next 2 lines for VMWare Fusion NAT issue
nat-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing/*"
Then reload PF (disable & enable back) with the following two commands:
sudo pfctl -d
sudo pfctl -e -f /etc/pf.conf
The above should resolve NAT sharing to VM, except for DNS resolution. To resolve the DNS issue, in the VM, add a DNS entry for your local internal host connections (intranet at your company). Add a second DNS entry of 1.1.1.1 or your home router’s DNS (for external hosts) using static IP configuration. Note 3: The configuration interface depends on the OS in the VM; for RHEL NetworkManager applet or nmcli will do.
0 Kudos
hd2659
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

It is not the packet filtering, I made a VM with 2 interfaces connecting to vmnet 2 and vmret 3 and only vmnet 3 gets connected, for vmnet 2 I get the well known "Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network 'vmnet2'", so before any NATing and DNS issues take place

Thanks for you input 🙂

My workaround with an additional UBS Ethernet Interface works for now

JavierIBM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I can't say I'm a network guru or anything like that. It seems different approaches to this issue work for different types of configurations(?). I'm just glad mine is working again. 

0 Kudos
kaavik523
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this exact same problem on 2020 MBP 16" running macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 and VMware Fusion 12.1.0 (17195230). When VM running Windows 20H2 is connected to bridge mode wifi, can browse non-secure websites but anything with SSL doesn't work and doing speed tests shows 0Mbps for download but normal upload (presumably because the speed test sites also use https). Interestingly, the problem does not happen in NAT mode (but not an acceptable solution for me) or in bridge mode when using hard-wired ethernet to the exact same home router (Asus RT-AC68U). 

I cannot for the life of me figure out why it doesn't work but the exact same VM works fine on my 2014 iMac 5K with bridge wifi mode so it is something specific to VMware + MBP configuration. The problem also happens on my 2018 MBP 15 running same versions of macOS and Fusion.

0 Kudos
whitby1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It appears that the bridge autodetect option no longer works and bridge to wifi no longer works. I can use NAT when the host is connected to the network via wifi and bridge via ethernet  when the host is connected via an ethernet connection. I have not tried adding a new adapter to allow bridge via wifi. I am using a 2020 iMac, 2019 16" MBPro and 2020 13" MBPro and all exhibit the same behavior.

At the moment I can get things to work, but the lack of comments by VMWare appear to confirm that they have no clue or at least are not sharing what they know. Fundamentally part of the networking interface is broken and VMWare have left their customers to sort it out. I suspect this tells us that VMWare is no longer interested and we may all end up in the Parallels world or maybe they think it is all over when we move to Apple Silicon. I have fired up my Windows Desktop in preparation and have just purchased a new Windows based laptop. I think the days of virtual machines on Macs are drawing to a close, sadly. It was a nice run.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I got curious about this again.  Back at the start of Fusion 12.0 I had problems so I went through my VMs and made sure they were all on Autodetect for networking.  Today I took a Windows 10 VM and set it to WiFi.  I got prompted as attached, and WiFi now works with the VM.  I am on an iMac Pro.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

...well after a while HTTPS quit working on the VM so looks like Fusion 12 and WiFi is hosed for me too...  I have also noted that with Mac VMs the Mac VMs think they are connected to WiFi even though the VM does not have a WiFi adapter.  

0 Kudos
haggans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi VMware and the community.

Quick background, we've moved over from Parallels to VMware Fusion couple of years ago and has successfully been using version 11.5 in combination with macOS 10.14.6. The VM is running Win 7 Pro.

For many reasons we now need to upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur, which also require us to upgrade Fusion.

First machine has been updated, and i installed Fusion as demo just to try it out. Immediately get the problem as described in this thread, i have IP address, but NAT simply does not seem to work well. I have no internet, and I can not connect to file share. I tried the offered solution with deleting network settings via terminal, but did not work for me.

My next test was to install a vanilla Win 7 Pro, but i end up getting same problem. I tested setting bridged network, I was then able to reach msn.com I believe, but other websites would just time out.

Last test i did was to convert vmimage into Parallells and run their demo - it work.

Now - I would prefer to stay with VMware, that make everything easier for me. But can I? When i contacted support I was told that I can't get support until i purchase the software, i was encouraged to go on this forum instead. Anyone found a solution? Cheers /Matt

0 Kudos