VMware Communities
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No Ethernet Connection VMware Fusion 12 macOS Big Sur Beta 6

With the newly released version of VMware Fusion 12.0 I'm having the same problem I did with the Technical Preview in macOS Big Sur Beta 6.

When starting a Windows 10 x64 virtual machine, I receive the following error message:

Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network '/dev/vmnet8'. 

More information can be found in the vmware.log file.

Virtual device 'Ethernet0' will start disconnected.

Has anyone found a solution to restoring internet availability in the guest virtual machine?

Cheers

Tags (2)
128 Replies
sbigras
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OMG !!! That fixed the issue !!!! You are a life saver .... Now the question remains ... do we have to do this at every reboot but even if that's the case we at least have a workaround in the meantime !

Thx a mil !

0 Kudos
Edlar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey

It works perfect for me. Smiley Happy

When I start Vmware  I get the same error, but if I select Bridged Network, autodetect it works perfect.

Thanks a lot.

Edvard

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it is allways better before installing new software as fusion e-x-p or fusion 11 to remove the previous installation with special programs as appcleaner or ccleaner.

This is the way i had choice and so i had never this problem!

appcleaner is open source and detect all components!

this for information!

0 Kudos
DaveHanner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked great for me too Geoffrey!  Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
dminter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Worked for me too!  Good detective work finding the solution over at Parallels!

2019 Imac

Fusion 12

Windows 10

0 Kudos
agfasaud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, It works Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jmdomini
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked for me as well, and I did not have to run it again after rebooting. Great detective work!!

0 Kudos
codeBuilder2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent - thanks for sharing!  Works great for me too!

0 Kudos
haimeh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This appears to have fixed my issues as well, thanks for taking the time to post this. (MacOS Big Sure Beta 8, VMware Fusion 12)

0 Kudos
andrescr94
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue

Ubuntu 20

Macbook air 2017,

Command above fixed it, thank you.

0 Kudos
brakes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea!  It worked!

Wonder if the "diff" between original, after deleting and killing configd, and then after running Fusion gives any hints to apple or VMware on the problem.

0 Kudos
squirrelbones
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, Thank You!  Boom!

0 Kudos
spankym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I upgraded to 11.0.1 Beta (20B5012d) from Catalina and initially saw no networking issue as I had when I upgraded to a previous Big Sur beta.

However, after a day and maybe a reboot I saw the same problem and solved it with the previously shared solution:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist && sudo killall -9 configd

In other news, sidecar stopped working and I had never had any issue with it previously.  Of course, this is all on a spare machine used for testing betas Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dev4vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just updated to the final version of macOS Big Sur. The tip no longer works for me.

hwanjo1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turning off Internet Sharing solved the problem for me (of course as long as you don't need the Internet sharing)

GregB84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is not working with the last macOs BigSur and VMware Fusion 12 player. The nat.conf and dhcp.conf are simply ignored, the windows 10 guest OS created a new network and use a default dhcp.
No way to make my networking configuration working with my guests... Hope a fix will come soon... Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019

om3rx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, updated to macOS Big Sur and I have Fusion 12 Pro installed. My network is set to NAT but internet is not working.. 

palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I also ran into this problem today.

My VMs all use NAT but they use static configurations rather than DHCP. (The application which runs in these VMs is over 30 years old, predates DHCP, and requires static IP addresses.)

What I discovered is that the gateway and DNS server addresses have changed when using Big Sur's hypervisor framework. Previously, both the gateway and DNS server were at x.x.x.2. Under Big Sur, they are now at x.x.x.1.

I changed the VM configuration to use the updated gateway and DNS addresses and networking works!

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
nakca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 all virtual machines now NAT works fine. This is really miserable BUG for VMWARE.

0 Kudos
mtkrity2014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue is still available, we really need a solution my machine on:

•  macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29) 
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • Vmware fusion Professional Version 12.0.0 (16880131)

issue: 

• Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network 'vmnet3.
0 Kudos