VMware Communities
macguy918
Contributor
Contributor

Newest Update broke my Snow Leopard VM!

Well thanks for nothing, VMWARE!

I installed the latest update to VMWare Fusion and without warning it broke my Snow Leopard VM.  It now gives me an error message that says "This is not OS X Server" and then I have to shut it down!

A warning would have been nice here, folks!

Back to Parallels.  At least they don't deliberately break things without warning!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is it actually a Snow Leopard Server VM?

0 Kudos
macguy918
Contributor
Contributor

No.  It is regular Snow Leopard.  I created it under the last version of VMWare Fusion.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That would be your problem.   You're attempting to virtualize something that by licensing is not allowed.  A previous version of Fusion had an error which allowed one to install the OS when it was not supposed to.

0 Kudos
macguy918
Contributor
Contributor

I know that, but they still should have warned users that this was going to break their previous mistake!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you read the release notes?  It's in there, and this update has been out for months - very old news.

Parallels doesn't allow virtualization of 10.6 client either - no one does legitimately.  It's a violation of Apple's EULA unless the host is 10.6 server.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

macguy918 wrote: I know that, but they still should have warned users that this was going to break their previous mistake!

Well the bottom line is you had no rights to virtualize the Mac OS X 10.6 Client in the first place, so you have no rights to complain!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That is a violation of Apple's EULA, and as such as no place for discussion in these forums.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

As stated this is not a place for discussing license violations.

Thread closed

0 Kudos