VMware Communities
parallelsORfusi
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie help needed

Hi - got my first Mac, 15" Retina.  Having a few issues as I need access to a decent Excel which supports VB so lookin gin to virtual machines.  Been looking at Parallels and also Fusion.

Have a few questions, but first of all if anyone from either company are reading this your sites are really hard work to navigate, lack detail in a language which non techies can understand and need a lot of UX work.

My goal is to be able to run Win 7 64 Bit and Office 2011 and use excel and a couple of other programmes.  I'd like it to be very easy to open one file from OSx or Windows and share data from copy and paste etc.  So quite basic things.

Putting this to one side, can anyone please help me with:

1 - What are the key differences between VM and Parallels 8?

2 - How much RAM does Fusion need?  Does it take what it needs or do I have to allocate a fixed amound which is then not available to my Mac even if Fusion isn't open?

3 - As well as Mac Office 2011 not working re VB and it also looks like a massive step back from a UX perspective, I've found that it looks horrible on the retina display.  So much so, that some spreadsheets are practically unusable when the print size is small whereas they render fine on a non retina machine.

Is this still an issue when using Windows Excel via Fusion or is there a good setting to use - my initial Fusion trial still renders Excel quite badly for the fonts?

(Fusion does have a much better display on retina compared with Parallels 7)

4 - Are there any recommended settings or drivers for Windows?

5 - Any other top-tips?

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
0 Replies