VMware Communities
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

New release of 2.0.2 fails to launch

I just installed the latest patch and now Fusion won't launch.

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997-light

I get rotating pizza forever. I m starting from the app folder, and uninstalled before I installed. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I just installed the latest patch and now Fusion won't launch.

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997-light

I get rotating pizza forever. I m starting from the app folder, and uninstalled before I installed. Any ideas?

VMware doesn't typically distribute patches and the "VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997-light.dmg" disk image file is not a patch but a fully functional and complete version of VMware Fusion.

Did you validate what you downloaded against it published MD5 checksum to make sure the download wasn't corrupted? If not then do that and then do the following.

Uninstall Fusion.

Reboot the Mac.

Install Fusion.

Reboot the Mac.

Run Fusion and does it still hang?

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the light and virus versions twice and get the same result. The Virtual Machine Library window shows that the machine is loading, but never completes. My old version 2.0.1 still on the disk, but it says that the machine is a newer version already, although never opened. Can it be convinced to revert by patching the vmx or other file?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I downloaded the light and virus versions twice and get the same result.

Did you validate what you downloaded against its published MD5 checksum to make sure the download wasn't corrupted?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

My old version 2.0.1 still on the disk, but it says that the machine is a newer version already, although never opened.

Sorry but this is some ambiguity in what you're saying... What exactly are you saying here, can you clarify? Are you talking about a Virtual Machine created under Fusion 2.0.1 or are you talking about you still have the Fusion 2.0.1 Application on disk and what do you mean by "on disk", do you mean the .dmg file you previously downloaded or what?

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I do not know how to verify the checksum.

What I have are the dmg files for 2.0.2 and 2.0.1 and also the old application file (.app) for 2.0.1

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997.dmg

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997-light.dmg

VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865.dmg

I have uninstalled and rebooted.

I see the virtual machine(s) in the library, and they just say starting for ever. If I start 2.0.1, that's when I get the stale version message.

Putting the line

mainmem.useNamedFile = “FALSE”

in the vmx file allows the app 2.0.2 to start, but then when I try to start a vm, it just spins. I tried restoring from some snapshots, but to no avail.

I hope that this is clearer.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I do not know how to verify the checksum.

The MD5 Sums are published on the page you downloaded the .dmg image file from as in the image below.

Click for information about using MD5 checksums

What I have are the dmg files for 2.0.2 and 2.0.1 and also the old application file (.app) for 2.0.1

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997.dmg

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-147997-light.dmg

VMware-Fusion-2.0.1-128865.dmg

I have uninstalled and rebooted.

I see the virtual machine(s) in the library, and they just say starting for ever. If I start 2.0.1, that's when I get the stale version message.

You cannot just execute theVMware Fusion.app (2.0.1 version) after installing the 2.0.2 version. Also you need to make sure before you install from a .dmg file that there are none mounted on the Desktop before mounting the one you're going to install from as this can corrupt the install.

Putting the line

mainmem.useNamedFile = “FALSE”

in the vmx file allows the app 2.0.2 to start, but then when I try to start a vm, it just spins. I tried restoring from some snapshots, but to no avail.

I hope that this is clearer.

You shouldn't have to do that however at this point you should probably read for and example of what type of information to include especially if you're trying to do something other then the normal defaults. Also to help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

Checksums were OK. When I clean out the prefs and reinstall, it comes up with blank library screen. When I try to open my VM, it hangs and says "Loading" forever, so I have to do a force quit. I sent data file and screen shots to VMWare and am awaiting response.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

. When I clean out the prefs and reinstall, it comes up with blank library screen.

Yes that would be normal and to be expected since the .plist file contains the list of virtual machine last in the Virtual Machine Library.

When I try to open my VM, it hangs and says "Loading" forever, so I have to do a force quit. I sent data file and screen shots to VMWare and am awaiting response.

Well since you've not provided the information here and have summited a support request then I'm done here.

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

They keep telling me to do the same thing, to no avail - here are the instructions:

Screen shots sent earlier from the documents > virtual machine, shows the virtual machine bundle package is available

Firstly, I would suggest backing up the virtual machine bundle package from Documents > virtual machine, that is simply copy and paste these virtual machine to a different location or as you prefer

Once after backing up the bundle package, then try running the uninstaller script again

Delete the following folders or files:

+ /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion +*

+ /Library/Receipts/VMware Fusion.pkg +*

+ ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist+*

+ ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion+*

Restart the Mac. This will ensure all Fusions kernel extensions are unloaded from memory

Download the latest version from www.vmware.com/download/fusion and install, let us know the status of the issue

Doing a force quit means that the log files don't get updated. They are stale because so many things have been tried. All they show is a conflict beween 2.0.2 and 2.0.1. The VM is the earlier one because the app is 2.0.2. It never gets up enough to ask to update the VM.

I read the instructions and still don't see how to attach any info to this or get it to you. I'm missing something. Sorry.

0 Kudos
arang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you saying that /Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion doesn't exist?

This is the Library folder in your boot disk, not the one in your home directory.

If it's not there, then your install didn't work. If it is there, go ahead and delete it so that a fresh install is guaranteed not to be running into corrupted files.

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

Just saw your helpful post. You are correct - I was looking in my home directory and not root. I told the tech that there were no files there twice or an uninstall app, but he didn't respond to that. Sigh.

At any rate, I deleted them, did a clean install from scratch, and still get the hang on "loading..." when I try to open the VM. The file is 92GB, so I'm letting it go for a while. I have no idea what a typical XP Pro install size is.

It would be nice to get a tool to extract my documents folder - I'm in school and could use three weeks worth of live class notes.

Rich

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It would be nice to get a tool to extract my documents folder - I'm in school and could use three weeks worth of live class notes.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Using VMDKMounter to Mount a Virtual Disk as a Mac Volume

Note: If VMDKMounter mounts successfully you will not be notified and a white drive icon labeled Untitled should appear on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
RSD
Contributor
Contributor

I was unable to mount the disk using VMDK - nothing happened.

I also tried to mount all disks by right-clicking and selecting Mount Virtual Disk - maybe the same thing, but it gives messages). One said cannot open; the rest said not safe, may be attached to a suspended or powered on VM, or be inside a snapshot chain (which they are). I still haven't heard more from the support folks.

I have this machine backed up, so I can play with it. Thanks for the idea.

Right now I'd be happy to force the thing to open to get the files and then start all over with a new machine.

0 Kudos