VMware Communities
mfcmfc
Contributor
Contributor

New problems with full screen mode in 4.1

Full screen mode is messed up with the upgrade to VMWare 4.1 running on Mac OS 10.6.8.

Two main problems:

1. The minimize button disappeared from the toolbar. I used this all the time to bring me back to my Mac applications. Why get rid of this standard button?

2. The Mac Dock does not automatically disappear, so the Mac Dock appears on top of the Windows task bar, making Windows impossible to use. When starting up the VM for the first time the dock disappears. But if you switch to another program running on the Mac side, then switch back to the VM, the Mac dock doesn’t disappear. I have to exit full screen mode then reenter full screen mode to get the dock to disappear, which often takes an entire minute before VMware becomes responsive again. When doing this the Windows client is left with various graphical artifacts on the second monitor. This is very frustating when doing activites that requires switching back and forth between Mac and Windows applications.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tetrapackage
Contributor
Contributor

For the Mac Dock, can you not set it up "below windows" so you won't see it when you open a window?

0 Kudos
mfcmfc
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what you mean by "below windows."

The issue is that VMWare full screen mode was working fine in 4.02, then it stopped working in 4.1. I looked around the VMWare settings and did not find any new settings relating to the Mac dock.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed with both points. There's quite a few usability issues with the new full screen support.

re. Dock on top of your VM. I found that if you switch to the library, (right click (or ctrl+click) on the Fusion icon and select Library) then select your VM again by double clicking on the icon that the silly dock on top goes away.

FWIW I've had the "dock on top of VM" issue since the very earliest versions of Fusion and it is indeed pretty annoying.

It also happens if you switch between 2 full screen VM's.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos