VMware Communities
mactechnogeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New VMWare Fusion user.. questions from a Developer perspective

I am going on about week 4 of purchase a Macbook Pro and making the switch from a PC. I have found the experience to be great so far. I was trying to decide between Parallels and VMWare Fusion, and after checking with the twitterverse it seemed like VMWare would be my best bet so I pulled the trigger.

I have a Microsoft .NET development background and want to get my setup tweaked to run as smoothly as possible. I was hoping there might be some other VMWare Fusion users that have a similar background and might be able to offer some suggestions.

So far I have used VMWare for a few things:

1) Installed the Windows 8 Preview that was released at the Microsoft Build conference. While I was able to get it installed just fine, it is very unresponsive and laggy. Granted, it is a "preview" so I fully expect this.  I have not done any tweaking at all beyond the normal settings and am wondering if someone has found a way to make the experience better.

2) Installed Windows 7 and Visual Studio .NET.

Also, my set up, which may provide some better info:

- I have a Macbook Pro 17", Early 2011. I recently upgraded the system drive to a 500 MB Hybrid (most apps installed here), and put the VM's on the original 750 MB hard drive that now sits in my Superdrive bay.

- I am running the "original" 4 GB of ram and thinking about upgrading.

The performance of the Win7/VS.NET seems to be adequate, but every now and then I get some stutter when I am typing in another window. When I check the memory I am usually less than 150MB free or so... If I upgrade the RAM should I expect better performance?  Is there any other general tweakage that would be recommended?

(Shameless plug: I am also blogging my experiences and may reference responses here in future articles!)

Thanks much in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I had a nice long response prepared for you when these forums went offline for maintenance so I'll attempt to at least hit the high points from that lost post. I also have an early 2011 17" MacBook Pro that I've upgraded to 8 GB of RAM and I selected the 7200 RPM 500 GB drive when I ordered it (as well as the 2.3 GHz i7).

I have found that speed of the disk you run the VMs from is a major contributor to overall performance of the VM.  It sounds like you took the original 5400 RPM drive and put it in the Superdrive bay and put a new hybrid SSD / mechanical drive in the main HD bay.  My comment would be you would be better off with a 7200 RPM drive in the Superdrive bay, considering a 5400 RPM drive is somewhat slower for random access than a 7200.  I've settled on a HW RAID 0 external drive connected via eSATA and have been quite happy with the performance of my VMs with that setup.  I have a eSATA interface ExpressCard/34 that I use to connect up that drive.  Someday I expect Thunderbolt to be the interface of choice, but so far not that much on the market.

What experiences I've had running VMs off the boot drive of any computer is you do run into a bit of contention between the VM disk access and the host OS access of the same drive.  You had the right idea with the 2nd drive in the Superdrive bay, I would consider making it a faster drive.  I gauge how fast different combos of single drives / RAID and interfaces can go by watching the throughput in Activity monitor while copying my VMs to another drive for backup or movement between hosts.  Some examples from my experience;

Copy RAID 0 to RAID 0 (2 different drives) both connected via eSATA.  About 100 MB/sec throughput

Single 7200 RPM drive connected via eSATA (copying to / from one of the RAID 0s). About 85 MB/sec throughput

Single 7200 RPM drive connected via FW800 (copying to / from one of the RAID 0s). About 55 MB/sec throughput

At this point I don't own any 5400 RPM drives so I can't give you comparison numbers for that.

From my experiences with Windows 7 VM it likes resources.  I've found I get quite acceptable performance with 2 vCPUs and 2.5 GB of RAM.  Anything less in either resource and it does feel a bit sluggish.  I'm only running productivity applications so would expect your development tools to require a bit more than I'm getting away with.  I bought my RAM for the upgrade from OWC (www.macsales.com) as I have done for many machines in the past.  Great company for anything Mac.

One last note, it has been my experience that Unity is not quite a s fast as single window or full screen.  Basically it will be personal preference whether you want the absolute best performance or the convenience of unity.

Good luck with your new setup.

treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With virtualisation there are 2 things to look out for: the hardware (mostly amount of memory and speed of the disk(s) the vm(s) are running from) and the vm settings (disk size, ide or scsi, memory, amount of vCPUs, etc.). Look at the activity monitor in Windows and check if Windows has enough memory or if it needs more cpu power. Most people with Visual Studio will use quite some memory for the vm, something like 4GB or even more. Expanding the Macs memory from 4 to 8 would make that possible in your case and might solve the problem but it is advisable to check the memory usage in Windows before doing so.

Btw, read your blog and saw something about copying the vm as backup. That is a very good thing to do but you may also want to check out the snapshot function. This allows you to create a copy of the vm's current state. If something goes wrong (like catching malware or you screw up some config file) you can revert the snapshot. These are exceptionally great when trying out stuff. The blog is a good read, sure sums up the adventures of switching from one system to the other Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: treee

mactechnogeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

At this point I don't own any 5400 RPM drives so I can't give you comparison numbers for that.

From my experiences with Windows 7 VM it likes resources. I've found I get quite acceptable performance with 2 vCPUs and 2.5 GB of RAM. Anything less in either resource and it does feel a bit sluggish. I'm only running productivity applications so would expect your development tools to require a bit more than I'm getting away with. I bought my RAM for the upgrade from OWC (www.macsales.com) as I have done for many machines in the past. Great company for anything Mac.

One last note, it has been my experience that Unity is not quite a s fast as single window or full screen. Basically it will be personal preference whether you want the absolute best performance or the convenience of unity.

Thanks for the helpful answer. I am indeed running the original 5400 RPM harddrive as my vm drive. At some point I will probably upgrade but I've already spent more than I had bargained for to get this set up working Smiley Happy  I have my eye on the new Lacie 1 or 2TB thunderbolt drive that came out. Looks like a good potential solution for VM's, and may also help for doing things like video editing work given the high throughput.

I am also thinking about doing the OWC upgrade for RAM.. good advice!

0 Kudos
mactechnogeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

treee wrote:

With virtualisation there are 2 things to look out for: the hardware (mostly amount of memory and speed of the disk(s) the vm(s) are running from) and the vm settings (disk size, ide or scsi, memory, amount of vCPUs, etc.). Look at the activity monitor in Windows and check if Windows has enough memory or if it needs more cpu power. Most people with Visual Studio will use quite some memory for the vm, something like 4GB or even more. Expanding the Macs memory from 4 to 8 would make that possible in your case and might solve the problem but it is advisable to check the memory usage in Windows before doing so.

Btw, read your blog and saw something about copying the vm as backup. That is a very good thing to do but you may also want to check out the snapshot function. This allows you to create a copy of the vm's current state. If something goes wrong (like catching malware or you screw up some config file) you can revert the snapshot. These are exceptionally great when trying out stuff. The blog is a good read, sure sums up the adventures of switching from one system to the other Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: treee

Thanks much for the response. It sounds like you are confirming that the memory is probably one of my key issues. I am going to order that RAM Upgrade asap...

Thanks for checking out my blog as well Smiley Happy. It has been quite an experience switching and I'm having fun, I guess that is the main point.  I am not as familiar about the snapshot functionality of VMWare but it sounds like it is more efficient than doing only the file backup. Thanks for giving me some food for thought!

0 Kudos