VMware Communities
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New VM with Windows 8--how big?

I want to install Windows 8 in a new VM (Fusion 6, OS X 10.8.4). I will be running Quickbooks Pro and little else in the way of third-party applications. My current VM with XP is about 16 GB and seems to be fine.

What size should I make the new VM?

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The default size for the virtual hard disk for a Windows XP Virtual Machine is 40 GB and for Windows 8 it's 60 GB however one can downsize it before starting the install.  Microsoft's Windows 8 System Requirements for Hard Disk space it 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).  So I'd double those values and say 32 GB (32-bit) or 40 GB (64-bit) and you should be fine.  Also because the default in VMware Fusion is to not pre-allocate the virtual hard disk it will certainly not grow to that size for what you say you'll be doing.

davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The default size for the virtual hard disk for a Windows XP Virtual Machine is 40 GB and for Windows 8 it's 60 GB however one can downsize it before starting the install.  Microsoft's Windows 8 System Requirements for Hard Disk space it 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).  So I'd double those values and say 32 GB (32-bit) or 40 GB (64-bit) and you should be fine.  Also because the default in VMware Fusion is to not pre-allocate the virtual hard disk it will certainly not grow to that size for what you say you'll be doing.

Thank you for your reply--I appreciate your help.

Do I have it right that the space taken up on the hard drive will be only the actual amount being used, which as you say, may grow? If so, is there any downside to choosing 60 GB?

Message was edited by: davidb2 for clarity.

0 Kudos