VMware Communities
Csb94
Contributor
Contributor

New User Enquiry

HI All,

Hoping to get a wee bit of help here. I'm currently a student and my 5K iMac model will be arriving soon of which I'm wanting to use some form of virtualisation (such as VMWare) on so I can use Windows to use features such as Visual Studio Community.

Basically I'm enquiringly about the fusion prices. I know the normal fusion costs £61 roughly, but when I go onto the education/academic site, I can only find VMWare Fusion Pro, and it costs £74 roughly. I read somewhere that the normal fusion could be purchased cheaper for students than the £61, am I looking in the wrong place or something?

Also.. I'm planning on selling my current Windows 10 Desktop. I was wondering if, instead of having to buy a new copy of Windows, Im able to 'migrate' the current OS over to fusion (and how exactly thats done?) as I'm sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere. However, the default OS that came with the desktop was Windows 8... So I'm unsure if it would be Windows 8 or 10 that would be used. Also I don't recall obtaining a license key as the Windows 8 OS was already Preinstalled onto the desktop, so any help on that front would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Csb94

You can use Fusion "File->Migrate Your PC" function, it can help you to migrate your windows into VM directly.

Cheers

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the VMware community forum,

While you can use the option that was mentioned... it won't be legal.

Having a desktop on which a pre-installed Windows was installed, means that the Windows on there is a so called OEM version.

The OEM license is tied to the hardware it was sold with.

So even if you manage to get Windows activated, I would expect Windows activation trouble in the future.

Especially if you sell it with Windows installed.

No idea on your other question about education license prices.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Csb94
Contributor
Contributor

Ah right, ok thanks. So does that mean then I'd need to purchase a full license from Microsoft? Also, is there a way to download Windows as an ISO so to then upload it into Fusion? As in do you need to purchase windows from Microsoft and then download an iso from here ‌and enter the license key during the setup within Fusion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's a wide range of suppliers for buying Windows from depending on where you live.

Sometimes the supplier delivers a DVD, sometimes you just get a license code.

Yes you would need a full license, but some may argue that a new OEM license suffices, this was recently also discussed here:

Will this Win7 from Amazon work for a new VM?

On that iso download you are pointing towards, you can indeed enter a valid license code while installing.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wil is correct about the OEM situation.

I have a blog post that details how to get the download and get it installed using the ISO

http://www.mikeroysoft.com/windows-10-and-vmware-fusion/

I also made a video that's embedded in the product under Help > Video Tutorials, and it describes exactly how to download the ISO from Microsoft and install it.

You can purchase a key from Microsoft either after installing, or before hand using Microsoft's online store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.70036700?=en_US_Store_UH_software_Win

*edit* I see you linked to the UK download for the ISO... if you hit store.microsoft.com you will probably be redirected to the right locale, I pasted the US store url...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos