VMware Communities
JPoss
Contributor
Contributor

New 4.1 fullscreen lacking functionality?

Hello,

With the new release of fusion 4.1 the fullscreen has been change to the lion feel.

I would like to know (if possible) how I can:

• Suspend and close the VM with 1 button click? In the old version I would simply just press the red button and it would suspend and close down the VM, now this button is gone when in fullscreen mode. So I either have to quit fullscreen and then close VM (2 actions) or suspend then quit fullscreen and then close VM (3 actions).
  • When going into fullscreen mode I want it to either appear next to my current active space or occupy that space (either would work). I think it is annoying it gets to the end of my spaces list and then I have to rearrange them. (Perhaps this is just Lion, but then again I don't like the new mission control crap and would love to have my grid spaces back).

As it is now I would prefer the old fullscren mode as it is more convienient towards my work habits. With the introduction of mission control and the new fullscreen mode I have to manually rearrange my spaces each time I start up because the default layout is simply not working well.

/Jeppe

0 Kudos
13 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

You can suspend with 1 action.

You have to enable the Full screen Minibar in View menu with Always show or auto hide and show. There is a suspend button on it.

Lion changed the way we used to. If we can't not change it, we have to fit it, right? Smiley Wink

Fusion use legency Full screen mode while have multiple monitons.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Jeppe,

With the new release of fusion 4.1 the fullscreen has been change to the lion feel.

I would like to know (if possible) how I can:

• Suspend and close the VM with 1 button click? In the old version I would simply just press the red button and it would suspend and close down the VM, now this button is gone when in fullscreen mode. So I either have to quit fullscreen and then close VM (2 actions) or suspend then quit fullscreen and then close VM (3 actions).

As it is now I would prefer the old fullscren mode as it is more convienient towards my work habits. With the introduction of mission control and the new fullscreen mode I have to manually rearrange my spaces each time I start up because the default layout is simply not working well.

/Jeppe

No, the new minibar menu does not offer a one click suspend and close. You can suspend it, but then you have to go to the file menu to actually close the VM (I'd call that a pretty big silly regression)

Besides the new minibar has at least 4 new bugs in there that I constantly bump into, if you leave it at the top of your screen and keep the Fusion menu drop down enabled, you have to be pretty fast with your mouse to follow the minibar dancing on your screen and if you are too fast you end up clicking on something else too.

Like you I prefer the old mini menu, for example it also had a window option that allowed you to switch to another VM.

Yes it is possible to get that from the full menu drop down, but that one makes it pretty much impossible to use full screen remote desktop in a full screen Fusion VM. Sigh...

I've moved my minibar to the left side of the screen, of course that has yet another bug where it gets displayed and not removed if you happen to trip the Full screen menu drop down.

So far, my feelings about the Fusion 4.1 release are that it is untested @#%^#%$

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
JPoss
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I had just missed something but I guess not Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In System Preferences > Mission Control there is an option called "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use". This option is enabled by default and will change the order of the spaces (including the fullscreen apps) constantly. This causes you to lose track of which space is which. If you disable this option the order of the spaces is fixed and won't change thus enabling you to tell which is which. Unfortunately only real spaces (now called desktops) can be assigned by a number, fullscreen apps can not. This is all Lion so blame Apple for that.

For the first question you need to go to the menu: File > Close (cmd-w). This will suspend the vm then close it and return you to the previous desktop. Next time you start the vm it will open itself in fullscreen mode again.

0 Kudos
jax555
Contributor
Contributor

I am not quite sure that we can blame Lion for this...   The fullscreen mode worked well in 4.0 and allowed you to have a numbered desktop for a VM.

I will second any vote to be able to switch back to being able to have fullscreen in a specific desktop.

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The fullscreen mode in 4.0 and previous versions was VMware's own fullscreen implementation. As of 4.1 it uses the Lion fullscreen mode when you are using a single display or VMware's own fullscreen implementation when you have more than 1 display. If the problems arise when you have 1 display then it most likely will be the Lion fullscreen mode that is at fault.

0 Kudos
jax555
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble was the we poor mortals who are having issues with this don't care at all about whether it does things the "Lion way" or not.   The fact is that 4.0 worked, and in many people's opinion it worked heaps better.   I can't really see why they couldn't have kept the old method as an option.

That is like trying to blame Apple for how horrible Excel is on Mac vs PC....

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And yet that exact same argumentation is what you'll see if you search the forums for problems with 4.0. People were screaming their heads off that 4.0 did not support fullscreen the Lion way. Many liked the old VMware style because that works fine unlike the Apple one. The only thing to dislike about the VMware style one is the fact that it does not open it in a new space but in the current space. Maybe that is something that could be changed, maybe it can not. Now VMware changed it to the Lion fullscreen on popular request and people are screaming their heads off that it doesn't work. Now everybody knows why VMware did not do it the Lion way in the first place Smiley Wink If they get the old way back and get it to open in a new space I think we might have a winner. However, people will still scream their heads off because it probably won't support the dock and menubar popping up like the Lion fullscreen mode does. And that is why Apple needs to work on the fullscreen support in Lion. We need multidisplay support for every application and we need those bugs fixed. Fusion is definitely not the only application with these problems. It is on every Mac forum on the web: people are complaining tremendously about Lion's fullscreen capabilities, especially the ones with more than 1 display. Until Apple gives us proper fullscreen I'd say that in case of Fusion any fullscreen support will suck and people will complain about it.

Rethinking it I think there might be an easy option in this mess: a pulldown menu in the Fusion settings with 3 options:

1. VMware style...like it was in 4.0 and previous

2. Lion style...exactly what it says

3. Automatically...which is how it is now in 4.1

Message was edited by: treee

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

I totally agree, it's difficult to fit everyone's taste.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

The fullscreen mode in 4.0 and previous versions was VMware's own fullscreen implementation. As of 4.1 it uses the Lion fullscreen mode when you are using a single display or VMware's own fullscreen implementation when you have more than 1 display. If the problems arise when you have 1 display then it most likely will be the Lion fullscreen mode that is at fault.

That might be true when you are using Lion. I wasn't as charmed by the new features of Lion so am still on Snow Leopard and it is the same thing down there... so blaming it all on Lion is a bit convenient perhaps?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dpreuss
Contributor
Contributor

Tracy,

You are correct about not being able to please everyone. That's why developers should give the user the power to choose.

I have 2 desktops, 1 for fusion in full screen, and the other for everything else. The fullscreen mode worked great in 3.x and 4.0. I was able to associate a few non competing applications to desktop 2 (including fusion). Now I have a blank desktop between my 2 most common apps. I really hope either the old way comes back or that you allow the user to decide which mode works best for them.

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems you have not given that much thought because the same thing can be said for blaming VMware Smiley Wink

The 4.0 and 4.1 release notes clearly state "Lion fullscreen" and not Snow Leopard fullscreen. This 4.0 and 4.1 release was meant for Lion. I think you should be complaining about that part as there are many more problems with Fusion 4 and 4.1 in Snow Leopard. Fullscreen is one of them but the entire interface is another. The interface is tailored to Lion, not Snow Leopard which is the root cause of the problems. All the animations and the way things look are in line with Lion but on Snow Leopard they are very awkward, sluggish and in some cases even a bit difficult to read (SL has darker colours, especially the grey).

So to sum things up:

1. Lion fullscreen not working ok (spaces thing, etc.) is something that Apple has to fix because currently all applications that use it are broken in some way causing every app maker to develop their own fullscreen system which completely beats the point of Lion fullscreen and causes all sorts of strange behaviours and confuses users.

2. VMware did not give Snow Leopard users any love with Fusion 4/4.1, if those users want to have something more Snow Leopard like than all they can do is go back to 3.1.3 and miss all the performance improvements. I think that's quite harsh.

Do read about Lion's fullscreen mode on other forums, then you'll understand why it is definitely not a convenience to blame Apple.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also when moving from two monitors to one monitor and back again -- normal for a laptop -- maximised screens move from monitor to another.  Only way to reset them is to restore from full screen,  move them to the right monitor,  then maximise again.

What's annoying about this is the fullscreen behaviour in VMWare 3 was great.  One step forward,  two steps back.

0 Kudos