VMware Communities
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

Networking issue with Fusion 12.2.0 / Monterey 12.0.1 Host / Windows 7 Guest

My Windows 7 32-bit guest machine loses network connectivity every few minutes but only in one of the networks I am working in. After a reboot (of the guest machine) everything works fine but only for a few minutes.
The latest VMware Tools are installed. Network is set to bridged. My Windows 10 guest with similar settings works fine.

The W7 machine worked fine before on my Big Sur host with Fusion 12.2.0.

I have a MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 using WiFi only.

Are there any known issues? Is there anyone else having similar problems?
Any ideas?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That sounds like it could be the network being configured to only allow one IP address per MAC.  Try using shared/NAT instead of bridged.

0 Kudos
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

No it‘s not. Also the W10 wirks fine in the same network. I need a bridged network.

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this problem by copying/migration a virtual machine Win7 32 bit from Apple Imac Pro to a Apple McBook Pro 13" and was able so solve this.

Please verify that

1. you not have a double ip-address on the network

2. you not have a double workstation name in AD or network

When yes, then changes this and restart the virtual machine!

cg

0 Kudos
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

Verified. No double ip-adresses and workstation names.

0 Kudos
LWB1
Contributor
Contributor

This same problem showed up for me the other day when Fusion updated to 12.2.1 on my Monterey machine. My instance of Windows is 10.0.19043. a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home. Bridged networking had been working fine beforehand.

The only thing I have been able to determine is it appears related to the type of connection. I have two machines running the same version of MacOS, Fusion and Windows. The only difference (other than the hardware itself) is one is wired and one connects via wifi. Ethernet works fine; wifi immediately stopped working following the update. I had to switch the wifi machine to NAT until I have time to mess with it further.

0 Kudos
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

The problem disappears when the network uses a MTU size smaller than 1500 bytes (I tested 1499 bytes for a short time and tested 1492 bytes for several days).

0 Kudos
Steve_Beavis
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i'm also having the same issue after the updates, seems to be that moving to NAT or Bridged is not working either, only a reboot of the Host brings it all alive again, hugely frustrating to say the very least.

0 Kudos
DaHolt1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact issue.  WIFI connection in Windows 10 VM on Fusion just disconnects every few seconds.

0 Kudos
DaHolt1
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update on mine.  Connecting my MacBook Pro to an eth wired connection, renewing my DHCP lease and disabling WiFi and then launching my Win10 VM is working...for now.  It seems to be an issue with WiFi over a bridged or NAT into the VM.  Anyway I hope this gets resolved soon.

0 Kudos
bmohorn
Contributor
Contributor

Any response on when a potential fix will be released? 
From my Win10 VM, my WIFI connection to the Internet gets disconnected after a few minutes of connectivity after I fix/reset the internet connection.  

0 Kudos
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

No response from VMware. 😞

Hopefully VMware Fusion is not dead.

0 Kudos
bmohorn
Contributor
Contributor

I did get my internet access/connectivity from VMware Fusion restored.    All is working again.  
I made a settings change to my VMX file:   ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"
And I forced the VM Network Adapter Settings from Autodetect to WIFI 
I did disable the VM enhanced FIREWALL protection, but I will be reactivating the firewall protection.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos