VMware Communities
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking is awry

I just installed Fusion 1.1.1 as a fresh install. I am using XP SP2 as the guest on Boot Camp. The network is Bridged. My IPconfig info is as follows:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BootCamp

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-D8-CC-B1

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.172.217

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.172.217

This looks ok - except of course that I can not network with my other pcs on the 192.168 network. How do I get the network to function correctly? I am brand new to VMFusion - just a couple hours ago. The network tells me limited or no connectivity.

I have read all the docs in the doc section at this point. and I have searched the the forums for network,connectivity, etc. And I can't find anything besides " the v 1.1.1 resolves the networking issues."

Please help the newbie.

Thanks,

Chris

PS - I only started using a MAC two weeks ago. I am a pc lifer - which is why I need VM Fusion - I only hope it out performs parallels which I wasted money on first.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssahadev2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

:smileymischief: good to know that it worked with static ip...feel free to add points..;)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just installed Fusion 1.1.1 as a fresh install. I am using XP SP2 as the guest on Boot Camp. The network is Bridged.

Does it work if you set the Virtual Machine's Network to NAT?

Also make sure the Network is Connected in the Virtual Machine's Settings

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry - If you need to know - I am on a macbook pro w/ 10.5.1 Dual core @ Ghz 2 GB and 100G HD - partition 50%/50% Mac/BootCamp

0 Kudos
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting - changing it to NAT and doing an ipconfig/renew made it half work. It is almost in my network range. It is now a 192.168.115.xx ip. However my network range is 192.168.0.xxx

Half way there I guess - and yes - the network is turned on. I found that in the article. ( I wasn't lying when I said I read all of the docs in the Fusion side. Smiley Happy )

Almost there.

THanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Interesting - changing it to NAT and doing an ipconfig/renew made it half work. It is almost in my network range. It is now a 192.168.115.xx ip. However my network range is 192.168.0.xxx

Half way there I guess - and yes - the network is turned on. I found that in the article. ( I wasn't lying when I said I read all of the docs in the Fusion side. Smiley Happy )

Do you have Internet/Network Connectivity in NAT mode?

The IP Address the Virtual Machine is given when in NAT mode is going to be on a different subnet then the subnet of your LAN. This is normal and to be expected. When in Bridged mode then the Virtual Machine IP Address should be on the same subnet as the LAN however it requires an active DHCP Server be present on the LAN as in a Linksys Router or external AirPort, etc. in order for the Virtual Machine to receive an IP Address in Bridged mode.

0 Kudos
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can get out to the internet and get my email. So yes that part works - however I use remote desktop often and and connect to my network storage etc. So unfortunately just getting online is not what I need.

As for the dhcp server - yes my d-link router is in fact my dhcp server. So far this is the only thing I can find that has bothered me about this software vs Parallels. Parallels worked immediately. However so far everything else is the same or better so I can't gripe Smiley Happy

I would love to get this working correctly and I am grateful for your continued suggestions.

Chris

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At the present moment the only thing I can think of trying is to manually set the Virtual Machine's IP Address while in Bridged mode. Use an address that is outside the scope of the DHCP Server IP Address Pool. Example if the last octet for the start of the DHCP IP Address Pool is .100 then make the last octet on the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter less then .100. If your able to manually configure an IP Address and it works then I'd settle for that for now until someone else has other suggestions.

Don't forget to assign the appropriate Subnet Mask and DNS server IP Addresses. All of which you can acquire from within the Routers Settings.

cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much Woody - that worked for now. I think it will probably be the same when I reboot to boot camp and then we will see where I go from there.

Thanks again. If anyone knows the "why" to this I would be grateful.

It is a great work around for the time but I would love to see the problem resolved.

Thanks again.

Chris

0 Kudos
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I - didn't do enough testing - that did not resolve it. What it did - was make my local network available - but then shut off my internet connection. So I can have one or the other it looks like - sorry to jump the gun there.

So does anyone know what might be happening?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ssahadev2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.172.217

The IP which VM got initially in Bridged mode is APIPA address. This means that no DHCP server has provided an IP to VM.

And if it work in NAT that means the VM's netwrok is working correctly.

Is there any restrictions set in the Router. If not try assigning a Static IP in the VM.

cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok - here is what I have done to make it work....

I have assigned a static ip to the machine in my router. That has worked for both internet and local access.

now I just have to figure out why my Adobe won't let me activate in the VM (They said I can not install the software on a VM - liars - I just did it Smiley Happy ) Anyway - thanks for all the help everyone.

Chris

0 Kudos
cluksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok - here is what I have done to make it work....

I have assigned a static ip to the machine in my router. That has worked for both internet and local access.

now I just have to figure out why my Adobe won't let me activate in the VM (They said I can not install the software on a VM - liars - I just did it Smiley Happy ) Anyway - thanks for all the help everyone.

Chris

0 Kudos
ssahadev2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

:smileymischief: good to know that it worked with static ip...feel free to add points..;)

0 Kudos