VMware Communities
RoyHochstenbach
Contributor
Contributor

Networking crippled on non-Windows virtual machines

Out of a sudden I can't get my non-Windows virtual machines functioning on the network. I have both a Debian and FreeBSD virtual machine. Changing the network mode from Bridged to NAT doesn't solve it. Also setting a static IP address doesn't solve it.

My network has the address 192.168.2.0. My router which is used as the gateway, DHCP server and DNS server has the address 192.168.2.1.

I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, but can't ping any other host in the network. I also can't ping to it from other hosts.

To make things worse, if I set my machines to use DHCP, it gets an address in the 192.168.1.* range, which is completely wrong. I don't have any other DHCP server in my network.

I've also tried restarting my system many times, but didn't solve it.

But the weird thing of all is that all Windows virtual machines work fine.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RoyHochstenbach
Contributor
Contributor

I solved the problem. Apparently my network was using the 192.168.1.* range out of a sudden. Changed it back to 192.168.2.* and it seems to work again.

As for the Windows virtual machines, they where using the NAT networking mode. Apparently Linux and BSD have some issues recognizing the NAT mode.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As for the Windows virtual machines, they where using the NAT networking mode. Apparently Linux and BSD have some issues recognizing the NAT mode.

I use NAT with several different Linux distros and BSD without any problems.

0 Kudos
RoyHochstenbach
Contributor
Contributor

I use the BSD and Linux environments as servers, so I need to assign an IP address to them, so I can access them from outside.

0 Kudos