VMware Communities
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking HELP with NAT or Bridge

When I use NAT networking with DHCP the IP address that is getting is on a different subnet. My Linksys router assigns 192.168.1.#, but I am getting 192.168.22.#. I can access the internet ok, but I cannot share my internal network resources.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.22.129

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.22.2

C:\>

To connect to the physical internal network resources I must use Bridge networking. This is not working, since I am not getting an IP assigned from the Linksys router.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>

What do I need to do to get my bridge networking working with DHCP?

I tried to statically configure IP and Bridge networking does not work either. I ping yahoo.com and could not resolve and also pinged 216.109.112.135 yahoo.com's IP and request timed out. I even tried to ping my Mac's IP of 192.168.1.104 (The host for this VM) no luck either.

Felix

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On 1) If you just need a few ports forwarded to your VM in NAT, you can edit the nat.conf file under /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion. After editing nat.conf restart networking with the boot.sh script in the same directory with ./boot.sh --restart[/code]

On 2) If you are using wireless networking, e.g. Airport, there is a known issue with bridging wireless connections described in the Fusion Release Notes. You could enable OS X's Internet Sharing but that will put you right behind a NAT on the OS X side. Smiley Sad The only way to get bulletproof inbound bridged networking is with a wired connection right now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

#1. Yes, that's the whole point of NAT. A NAT router uses address translation - hiding your PC from the outside world, giving it an internal, non-routable IP address, but allowing it to initiate communications with the outside. If you want the outside to reach your guest, you need to map ports to it. Or use Bridged.

#2. Does your Linksys router have MAC address filtering enabled? If so, you will need to add the MAC address of the virtual NIC in your guest.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On 1) If you just need a few ports forwarded to your VM in NAT, you can edit the nat.conf file under /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion. After editing nat.conf restart networking with the boot.sh script in the same directory with ./boot.sh --restart[/code]

On 2) If you are using wireless networking, e.g. Airport, there is a known issue with bridging wireless connections described in the Fusion Release Notes. You could enable OS X's Internet Sharing but that will put you right behind a NAT on the OS X side. Smiley Sad The only way to get bulletproof inbound bridged networking is with a wired connection right now.

0 Kudos
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I added MAC address to my wireless filter list. That slipped my mind. Still did not help, since the another message from rcardona2k says that there is a problem with Airport.

Thanks,

Felix

0 Kudos
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a wired connection and Bridge Networking works great.

Thanks for the help in answering the Bridge Networking problem with wireless connections.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your welcome. I'm glad your up and running. Hopefully VMware will fix the wireless bridge networking issue soon.

0 Kudos