VMware Communities
Pogopuschel
Contributor
Contributor

Network suddenly stopped working

Hello,

I am running VMWareFusion 3 on Mac os X and so far I didn't have any problem. I am running a Windows 7 Virtual machine. However, suddenly (I did not make any changes to my system) my VM network adapter stopped working, I am using bridged networking, but NAT does not work either. I tried rebooting both host and guest, reinstalling the adapters and VMWare tools, as well as running VMWare's "boot --restart" but nothing helped. The network adapter on my VM gets a 169.* IP address, so it seems like DHCP is not working.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Rick_Schlander
Contributor
Contributor

Two things to check -

1) Has the security changed on your Mac?

2) Build a test vm, or download a small appliance to test connectivity.

I always have a test vm in my environment.

Rick

0 Kudos
Pogopuschel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the network on my other virtual machines is still working.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, the network on my other virtual machines is still working.

It sounds like the problem is something in the guest, then - if Fusion's DHCP (or your router's DHCP) wasn't working, it would affect the other virtual machines as well.

0 Kudos
bryancostanich2
Contributor
Contributor

Mine just stopped working too. i think it happened right after i installed the latest OSX security update. VMWare, any ideas??

0 Kudos
Pogopuschel
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, that's right. I totally forgot that I installed the Mac OS security

upgrade. Yes, it stopped working right afterwards. That's really

strange, then why does my Windows XP VM still work? Just my Win7

stopped working.

0 Kudos
bryancostanich2
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully the VMWare folk will have a quick fix. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mine just stopped working too. i think it happened right after i installed the latest OSX security update. VMWare, any ideas??

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion?

Note that this does not remove the Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
Pogopuschel
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried reinstalling VMWare, but no luck. It still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
ainsworthc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also seeing the same problem, installed the security update and the virtual machine is no longer able to hitch onto the network.

0 Kudos
ainsworthc
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone manage to figure out a solution or workaround for this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Anyone manage to figure out a solution or workaround for this?

Since the OP didn't mention installing any security update and or If you have an issue that isn't exactly as the thread you jumped into then it might be better for you to start your own discussion thread and provide all the relevant details. Have a look at as a guideline for what information to include in your own discussion thread you can start by clicking Start a discussion.

0 Kudos
bryancostanich2
Contributor
Contributor

yes, the OP did. see:

"Oh, that's right. I totally forgot that I installed the Mac OS security

upgrade. Yes, it stopped working right afterwards. That's really

strange, then why does my Windows XP VM still work? Just my Win7

stopped working."

for me, i just had to uninstall and reinstall VMWare, and then it worked again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Oops... I missed that. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ainsworthc
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalling and reinstalling Fusion didn't help, I guess the next step is to create a new VM and see if I can get that one on the network...

0 Kudos
bobtSMF
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem but did not remember the security update. I don't keep Fusion or windows open all the time, so I didn't open it for a while. Any way I was using the NAT networking method. I did get it to work by changing to bridged mode and setting all static ip address. It now works fine. In fact it fixed an issue I had with my time machine mount point on my WHS server. It kept dis-mounting every time Windows (Vista 64) started up. It would throw errors about ejecting the disk improperly, any way no more errors, probably had something to do with the NAT connection.

0 Kudos