VMware Communities
pontusuggla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network problems, can't ping my mac

I run Fusion 7.1.1 and an Ubuntu server 14.04 on my imac 10.10.3 for web development.

I have a thunderbolt Promise connected to the mac and mounted this on my ubuntu using smb, everything worked fine.

Then I decided to let my college surf to my ubuntu so I set up a local dns server on a server running the same setup in the office and I changed the network settings in fusion to Autodetect so that my ubuntu got an 10.0.1.x-address, we have an Airport extreme.

Somewhere here I lost connection to my harddrive.

If I ssh to my ubuntu, or any other computer on the network and ping 10.0.1.2 (my imac) I get timeout. I can ping 10.0.1.2 from my mac.

ifconfig -a on my imac gives at the end:

vmnet1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:50:56:c0:00:01

inet 172.16.20.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.20.255

vmnet8: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:50:56:c0:00:08

inet 192.168.36.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.36.255

My guess is that Im not on the right broadcast and that these two are messing something up.

I did follow a tutorial on how to get my ubuntu on the 10.0.1.x-network before realising that I should do it in vmware, so I might have done something there, but I think I reset everything.

There are more things strange with my computer, the Facebook popup is really slow and dropbox sync, indicating that they wait for some timeout before getting on the web?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pontusuggla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It had nothing with vmware to do, I had also installed a vpn client that had a firewall that I was unaware of.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pontusuggla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It had nothing with vmware to do, I had also installed a vpn client that had a firewall that I was unaware of.

0 Kudos