VMware Communities
cjacksonuk
Contributor
Contributor

Network Settings greyed out - everything else ok

I have done a upgrade to 10.10 and Fusion 7

Everything has been fine, and I created a new custom vmnet, and some VMS - almost had everything working.

During the third VM that I made, I realised I needed to change the network so it was in the same vmnet.

Anyway, in the settings for the network its all greyed out - but all other settings for the VM are fine.

I figured it was a problem just for this VM, but no, all the VMs have the sam issue!

Also when I go to the Fusion preferences, and go to the network tab - all this is greyed out too. The other tabs are ok.

It seems as though just the networking element of fusion is broken - all VMs work fine - I just can change VM settings, or add new VMs due to the same issue.

Any ideas?

Ive tried stopping and starting the services... no luck

the log did reflect that vmnet-bridge is already running.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with Cisco Any Connect client that I have - this has carried over from the update from 10.9 to 10.10 - and when I connected to the VPN there was an auto update - though this may not be related at all.

Any ideas?

TIA

7 Replies
mrsteveman1
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this happens because one or more of the low level processes that manage networking for Fusion (the vmnet-* processes) gets stuck or Fusion is otherwise unable to communicate with them. When that happens, Fusion can be restarted, network adapters removed and added again, but it still won't help because from Fusion's perspective, it has no control over low level network settings through those processes, so the settings are shown as being unavailable for editing.

When you restart Fusion, it does try to start those processes again under its own control, but it notices they're already running and stops trying, and Fusion ends up in this state where network services are in fact running, but the settings to control them are unavailable.

As a symptom of this issue, you can check system.log in Console and you may notice messages like:

VMware Fusion 2235595[70158]: Error: Unable to start the bridge services. Error: /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-bridge is already running, process ID: 2852 [1]

To fix it, either reboot, or alternatively this should work:

1. Shut down all running VMs
  2. Quit VMWare Fusion
  3. Open Activity Monitor
  4. Quit or force quit any vmnet-* processes that are still running
  5. Restart VMWare Fusion, it should automatically start any of those processes you killed earlier

As I said you'll probably get the same effect by just rebooting, but sometimes that's not an option for various reasons.

Once you do that, network settings should work again.

avanish321
Expert
Expert

Clean uninstall and install of Fusion should help you. If the networking files are locked one will face symptoms similar to yours as well.

Note: If you have created any custom networks you will have to recreate them ( which I believe is not a complex task using network editor )

Refer to below KB articles for manual uninstall and install of Fusion

Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

Downloading and installing VMware Fusion

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
mconwell
Contributor
Contributor

I solved this problem on my Mac (El Capitan) by renaming the Preferences folder and then restarting my Mac

The presences folder is called "VMware Fusion" located in ~/Library/Preferences/

Quite frustrating but this worked for me.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two years later still suffering the same problem.  Obviously something's 'locked' the network settings.  The hassle is how to unlock it...

Two hours later...

• Shut down the VM.
  • Send VMWare to the trash
  • Empty the trash
  • Reboot the Mac
  • Re-install VMWare

Finally the network settings are not disabled.  Running the VM,  the thing can finally connect to the intarwebs.

Now to continue with the *work* I need to get done tonight...

0 Kudos
Octovon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this problem with Fusion Pro 10.1.3 on macOS 10.14.

It has been some time since I tinkered with these network preferences.  When I recently opened the preferences, things were normal (not greyed out).  When I returned (after making no changes), things have gone sideways.

I've tried killing the vmnet processes and removing the Preferences folder, but no luck.

I haven't tried reinstalling, which sounds rather drastic.

VMware, what say you in regard to this problem?

0 Kudos
fifodude
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure your Mac OS Gatekeeper setting is allowing VMware Fusion under System Perferences->Security & Privacy - towards the bottom under 'Allow apps downloaded from:' choose 'allow' for the related Fusion warning message. After allowing this, I was able to make changes to my Fusion Pro 10.1.5 network settings.

EStacey87
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm with Fusion 11 Pro that this fixed my issues on OS X 10.14.3

Coming from a Windows world i though UAC was annoying.... but this was maddening

0 Kudos