VMware Communities
Scott_Atkinson
Contributor
Contributor

Net BEUI

Hi -

I'm trying to join a workgroup that runs on NetBEUI, using Win2000. I have NetBEUI installed, but I'm not seeing the LAN. On the Mac side, I'm connecting to the internet thru' a fixed IP address. On the Win2000 side, I'm using DHCP.

(I have no idea what's important, so I'm throwing everything into the pot.)

Thoughts?

Tks,

Scott Atkinson

Watertown NY

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of networking are you using (check under Virtual Machine > Settings) - if you're using the default NAT, try bridged.

0 Kudos
Scott_Atkinson
Contributor
Contributor

Tried both, without success.

Since I can fit everything I know about networking into a tiny cup, I have a really, really basic question: is NetBEUI supported at all in a virtualized environment on a Mac?

Tks,

Scott A.

0 Kudos
fmlogue
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get your problem solved? I have just gotten a Mactel and installed both bootcamp and fusion. When running XP on bootcamp I can access our Netbeui network with out any problem, but I haven't been able to get XP in Fusion running off the bootcamp partition to see the network. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you ever get your problem solved? I have just gotten a Mactel and installed both bootcamp and fusion. When running XP on bootcamp I can access our Netbeui network with out any problem, but I haven't been able to get XP in Fusion running off the bootcamp partition to see the network. Any suggestions?

By Default the NetBEUI Protocol is not installed in Windows XP and can actually reduce performance if you install it.

Did you install the NetBEUI Protocol?

How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041

0 Kudos
fmlogue
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is installed. That is how I am able to connect to the Netbeui network when running XP on bootcamp. Fusion is using the bootcamp partition and I made sure that netbeui was installed properly on XP running on Fusion. As far as I can tell both XP on bootcamp and XP on Fusion are setup the same, networkly speaking.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The Default Network in a Fusion Virtual Machine is NAT and I beleive you would need to set the Network to Bridged in order for that protocol to work properly.

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Completely agree, NetBEUI uses broadcast for discovery and the broadcasts would not traverse the NAT so bridged is essential. Remember also that NetBEUI is not a routable protocol so the host and the computer the guest wants to communicate with must be on the same Ethernet switching system, that is no routers involved.

0 Kudos
fmlogue
Contributor
Contributor

It was obvious to me that "bridged" was the type of network setting I wanted, My problem is that running XP on bootcamp, I am able to connect to the LAN and run the Visual Foxpro program and access the database server and run the database, but on XP on Fusion I cannot see the LAN so I cannot run the program. The database files I need to use are on the server, As far as I can tell, the network settings are the same. I can run the program with the database files on the local hard disk, but I am getting an error message that it cannot find the files and shows the path to the server, but if I hit the ignore button it makes a successful connection to the local files. It does the same thing if I use the shortcut that uses the .ini file that contains the path to the server. It gives the error, then connects to the local files. What confuses me here is that the shortcut that uses the local .ini file doesn't have the server path anywhere in the file. Both shortcuts, the same files, work on XP running on bootcamp. Is it possible that since the bootcamp partition is on the internal disk formatted GUID and I am running Leopard and Fusion off an external disk that is formatted AFP. I am doing that because I am using the volume I had been using with the PPC which is what I had when I first installed Leopard back in November 2007.

0 Kudos