VMware Communities
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nested VM .vmx syntax

The instructions here: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970 for enabling hardware-assisted virtualization in Fusion 4 call for adding the line

vhv.enable = TRUE

to the VM's .vmx file. Looking at what's already in the .vmx file, every value, i.e., what's after the = sign, that's already present is in quotes. The line in DOC-8970 which should be added isn't. Should there be quotes around TRUE? Does it matter? Other documentation, such as http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9150 which deals with a similar subject, does show quotes around the values.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IMO Whether or not it is required is somewhat irrelevant if the existing convention in the .vmx configuration file has the values of the parameters quoted and therefore any that I add will also be quoted.

Now will it work if you don't quote the value of the parameter, well I just tested by unquoting the values of several parameters and it worked fine until one of those values had spaces in it at which point I received an error, "File "/../../DSLinux.vmwarevm/DSLinux.vmx" line 10: Syntax error." so technically the answer is no if there are no spaces in the value of the parameter and yes for the values of the parameters that have spaces.

Which brings me back to my opinion and following established convention, which is to quote the values of the parameters in the .vmx configuration file whether or not it's needed since it's plainly obvious the VMware Application themselves quote the values in the .vmx configuration file! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IMO Whether or not it is required is somewhat irrelevant if the existing convention in the .vmx configuration file has the values of the parameters quoted and therefore any that I add will also be quoted.

Now will it work if you don't quote the value of the parameter, well I just tested by unquoting the values of several parameters and it worked fine until one of those values had spaces in it at which point I received an error, "File "/../../DSLinux.vmwarevm/DSLinux.vmx" line 10: Syntax error." so technically the answer is no if there are no spaces in the value of the parameter and yes for the values of the parameters that have spaces.

Which brings me back to my opinion and following established convention, which is to quote the values of the parameters in the .vmx configuration file whether or not it's needed since it's plainly obvious the VMware Application themselves quote the values in the .vmx configuration file! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply and experimentation. I noticed the missing quotes when XPMode using Virtual PC inside of Win 7 Pro on Fusion 4 started to act oddly. I tried adding quotes and didn't see any change either, but with the standard syntax seeming to call for quotes, I've left them there. XPMode in VPC used to be virtually useless but running now on a Westmere processor, it's almost as quick as in VMWare Player, though without all the good features.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The quotes aren't necessary.  I left them off in that document, because Windows users often seem to end up with "smart-quotes" when manually editing their configuration files, and smart-quotes definitely don't work.

MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Jim Mattson wrote:

The quotes aren't necessary.  I left them off in that document, because Windows users often seem to end up with "smart-quotes" when manually editing their configuration files, and smart-quotes definitely don't work.

That must have been really tough to troubleshoot from a distance at the beginning.:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jim Mattson wrote: The quotes aren't necessary.  I left them off in that document, because Windows users often seem to end up with "smart-quotes" when manually editing their configuration files, and smart-quotes definitely don't work.

I never end up with "smart-quotes" when manually editing a .vmx configuration file under any Host Platform because I suppose I use a proper editor however quotes are absolutely necessary with any parameter value that has spaces in it and VMware products like Fusion and Workstation by default quote all parameter values regardless of spaces or not when the .vmx file is created.  Additionally one would think that common sense dictates that established conventions should be followed! Smiley Wink  Therefore since parameter values with spaces absolutely require quotes and the VMware product itself by its own defaults quotes all parameter values in the .vmx configuration file, then when manually editing it is better to maintain consistency even if technically a parameter value without a space in it does not need to be quoted to work.  (Sloppy coding always seems to lead to issues.) Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

Jim Mattson wrote: The quotes aren't necessary.  I left them off in that document, because Windows users often seem to end up with "smart-quotes" when manually editing their configuration files, and smart-quotes definitely don't work.

...one would think that common sense dictates that established conventions should be followed! Smiley Wink...

In some circumstances, assuming common sense could be asking too much. I'm following a thread on the Apple MacBook Pro forum in which the OP is complaining that Apple charges too much for a laptop that it didn't make liquid-proof, something he was surprised to discover after dumping some wine on the keyboard.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is quite common for lexical analyzers to treat any sequence of non-whitespace characters or a quoted string as an atomic object.  It may be aesthetically pleasing to quote all values in your configuration file, but it's not necessary.  Program-generated values are always quoted because it's easier that way.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jim Mattson wrote: It may be aesthetically pleasing to quote all values in your configuration file, but it's not necessary.

Any .vmx parameter value that has spaces in is absolutely needs to be quoted otherwise a Line Syntax Error is generated!

As an example the values for, uuid.location and uuid.bios require quotes as well as any *.fileName parameter value that has spaces require quotes too!  So for you to say "It may be aesthetically pleasing to quote all values in your configuration file, but it's not necessary." you are absolutely wrong since some parameter values must be quoted!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, some values must be quoted.  However, it is not necessary to quote all values.  Feel free to quote any value you like.  Just don't use smart-quotes.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Back to the original poster's question...

All of the options specified in the javascript:; document are correct as written, and most can be cut and pasted into your configuration file with any text editor, even those text editors that like to turn straight quotes into smart quotes.