VMware Communities
Galic
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with deleting VMware Fusion.

I followed the instructions here VMware KB: Locating the virtual machine bundle in VMware Fusion and deleted all the files but the thing is that It doesn't give me more access to the space It used up. I also deleted the Virtual Machine file thingy and It still doesn't free up my space. So what should I do?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Silly question, but did you empty trash in OS X?

If that still doesn't help then use a tool like GrandPerspective to locate what/where the missing space is on your disk.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Galic
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did empty the trash. Also I have GrandPerspective and I've been using It to find the VMware Fusion files.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, well it either did delete and release the space occupied or the delete wasn't successful.

Normally it is one of those two choices, if you ended up with something else then that would in my opinion point to disk consistency issues and it would make sense to run a check on the disk and partition.

If Fusion was running while you tried to the delete the package it might not have worked to delete the file within Finder.

If you want to remove a VM that is visible within Fusion however then it is much easier to just use the delete option under the "Edit" menu.

The choose "move to Trash" and empty the trash afterwards.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Galic
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I'll try reinstalling VMware Fusion and see If they find any virtual machines.

0 Kudos
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Open the Terminal app, and use the find command e.g.

sudo find / -iname "*nameOfVirtualMachineYouGave*"

<thenTypeRootPasswd>

It will take some time because you start to search from / but you will find them wherever they are.

Then delete them using rm <file>.

You can combine find with -exec (but that won't be safe)

N.b. In the first command don't forget about the double quotes

0 Kudos