VMware Communities
vmwarehiro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need help Windows 10 doing Automatic Repair loop

I updated fusion to 11.5.6 and just updated Mac OS X to 10.15.6 and now when I start the VM, windows goes into a blue screen and endless loop of automatic repairs.  The Restart does not work, I do the advanced option and tried startup repair, uninstall updates or system restore, but nothing works.  I tried some other command prompt commands, but I could not repair anything.  I tried rolling back the VM file with time machine, but I still get the automatic repair loop...

Is there a way to get data off the virtual machine?

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh dear.. another Time Machine victim.

Please read my article:

https://www.vimalin.com/why-is-time-machine-not-a-good-backup-for-virtual-machines/

It is not entirely clear for me if you did a clean install and then restored the VM from time machine or if the VM was preserved during the Catalina upgrade and that you tried to "repair" the VM with Time Machine. Did you make a copy of the VM before you started a repair?

Since you can still boot, the VM disk still has all required parts to function, so there's at least some good news.

For the rest, without any logs, it is hard to say much sensible about the disk itself.

In order to get your data out I would try the following path:

1. Consider the VM dead

2. Create a new VM that you can boot into and use

3. Attach the virtual disk from your dead VM to the new VM and try if you can get some of the data from it.

You might be lucky or not, it all depends on how badly Time Machine messed up the virtual disk.

All the best luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh dear.. another Time Machine victim.

Please read my article:

https://www.vimalin.com/why-is-time-machine-not-a-good-backup-for-virtual-machines/

It is not entirely clear for me if you did a clean install and then restored the VM from time machine or if the VM was preserved during the Catalina upgrade and that you tried to "repair" the VM with Time Machine. Did you make a copy of the VM before you started a repair?

Since you can still boot, the VM disk still has all required parts to function, so there's at least some good news.

For the rest, without any logs, it is hard to say much sensible about the disk itself.

In order to get your data out I would try the following path:

1. Consider the VM dead

2. Create a new VM that you can boot into and use

3. Attach the virtual disk from your dead VM to the new VM and try if you can get some of the data from it.

You might be lucky or not, it all depends on how badly Time Machine messed up the virtual disk.

All the best luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
vmwarehiro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wil,

Can you tell me how to attach a virtual disk inside a new windows 10 virtual machine?  Do I need additional software?  I searched and saw macfuse or Paragon software seems to mount VM bundle files in OS X.  Can this be done within Fusion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I haven't used macFuse or Paragorn in about 5 years, so I can't comment on that as things have changed in the disk format.

There's also significant changes in macOS in regards to how drivers are handled.

Yes that used to work.

What I suggested was to create a new VM and install Windows in there.

No additional software is needed. What we're going to do is comparable in the physical world to taking the disk out of the broken computer and putting it in the new computer.

Once Windows 10 is installed you can shut down the VM and go to the menu "Virtual Machine"-> "Settings"-> Top right button "Add Device" and select "Existing Hard Disk"

That will popup a File selector dialog and then you'll navigate to the bundle of your old VM.

If you have enough free disk space then "Make a new copy" is the safest option, "share" is a good second option.

If you see multiple .vmdk files you can select from then you likely have a snapshot open and you should only experiment with "make a new copy" (don't use either of the other copies or more repairs will be needed, VMware Fusion tends to do the right thing here and disable those dangerous options if the disk is part of a snapshot chain)

If you don't know which vmdk to choose then attach the vmware.log files from your vm to a reply here (the vmware.log files can be found in the VM's bundle folder, select the VM, right click ->

"Show package contents")

--

Wil

vmwarehiro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wil,

I was able to find the VM copy that I made before I did the time machine restore and was able to add it as an existing HDD.  I found all my files and able to copy to my new VM.  I will have to find a better way to backup my data.

Thank you, you are a life saver....

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Glad to hear it worked out in the end!

Your issue is exactly why I wrote Vimalin.

There is a free version of the application if needed.

Here is a recent testimonial from a user who switched from Time Machine to Vimalin for his VM backups: https://www.vimalin.com/must-have-utility/

--

Wil

0 Kudos
vmwarehiro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil,

Nice, I will check it out.  May I ask, do you think that Fusion will be ported to the ARM based Macs and be able to run windows?  Is this a dead end, should I just buy a windows machine or change my workflow to Macs/iOS only?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Next version of VMware Fusion when run on macOS Big Sur will use the native hypervisor framework from apple.

So at least it should be able to run on Apple Silicon.

This however is not the same as being able to run your intel based virtual machines on top of Apple Silicon.

I know that VMware Fusion has a lot of requests for exactly that kind of support, but can't tell you anything about if they will even try to implement this or if it is do-able.

We will have to wait and see what comes out of their pipeline.

They have amazing engineers and a lot of technical knowledge on the matter, so there's at least some hope they can pull this off.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Like Wil said we're not ready to make announcements around that just yet, but what I would say is maybe hold off buying that windows PC for a little longer Smiley Wink

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

oooooooooooooooooh.....now that's a tease

MarioRaffaele
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

first of all a disclaimer: I am not an expert so pls forgive my ignorance on superrich details or stupid questions....

I read your post and I think that you could really help me. I am trying desperately to restart a Windows10 Pro virtual machine (VMware Fusion 12) after that an error "0xc000021a" make impossible the restart. Vmware Fusion support says that this is an issue of Windows, but I am not able at all to restart the machine using the Windows repair options.

So I am now planning to abandon the ship trying to save at least the data...  I would like to go ahead with the creation of a new VM with a fresh Windows 10 installation and then link to that machine the DISKs of the old not working machine, as you suggest.

Starting form an old ISO image of the WIN10 Pro, I got a new VM and expanded the disk size to 110 GB in order to accomodate for the "import" and then followed your advise to navigate to the bundle of the previous VM. There I see that the highlighted clickable files (with "make a new copy") are only a couple of vmdk files.  I picked up the one called "Disco virtuale.vmdk" of 1 kb and then a long process of "disk copy started". The process is going very slowly... Am I doing the correct procedure ? I attached the log file. Can you confirm if I am doing everything right ?

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@MarioRaffaele wrote:

Can you confirm if I am doing everything right ?

Sounds about right. If you don't have snapshots then it would be correct, if you have snapshots then you might not have the latest data.
At least by making a copy of the data, you are not risking to break more... so I would let it work and do something else until it is done.

PS: Please do not put log files in a pdf, that's unreadable for us. If you have problems attaching a log file then use compress / zip in order to be able to upload it. Sadly the forum software has never been updated to allow uploading of plain log files.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see this Auto Repair Loop post was made quite some time ago. Today is 20th Aug 2022. Yesterday, I updated my MAC (after closing the VMs) to the latest macOS Monterey v12.5.1 version. After that update, this morning I was unable to start my regular VM. And neither could I start another saved VM that I had not used for a while. Attempting to start them both leads immediately to a screen that says Preparing Automatic Repair, then Diagnosing your PC, no activity from there has led to any resolution. In my case, I didn't use my time machine in trying to resolve this.

It's difficult to say that it's definitely related to the update but I can't say for sure. I must confess to not being able to resolve an earlier error that might be related - I recently rebuilt the errant VM recently after a disk error and from then on, whenever I started the VM, it always failed to find the last .vmdk, even though it it's location never changed - however, manually selecting it always resolved the issue.

If anyone is able to make sense of any of this, I'd appreciate it.

It's beginning to seem as if buying a windows laptop now makes most sense.

Thanks in advance

Tony

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you provide:

• Fusion version
  • Version of macOS you were running before your upgrade
  • Windows Versions
  • Did you shut down the VMs or power them off beforte upgrading macOS?

Do not restore a backup of any VM taken with Time Machine and a VM. If you have a backup of your VM taken with Time Machine there’s a high probability that backup is no good and restoring it could make matters worse. 

You say you rebuilt the errant VM and are having difficulties. How exactly did you do that? And what do you mean by “manually selecting it always resolved the issue”? Manually selecting it using what?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Technogeezer, for your response.

In answer to your questions ...

1) Fusion version - I'm using VMWare Fusion Professional 12.2.4

2) Version of macOS you were running before your upgrade - I always perform Mac OS updates so it's the one just before 12.5.1. 

3) Windows Versions - I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise

4) Did you shut down the VMs or power them off before upgrading macOS? - I shut down the VM from inside the Windows PC - I had experienced problems with this a few years ago.

You say you rebuilt the errant VM and are having difficulties. How exactly did you do that? And what do you mean by “manually selecting it always resolved the issue”? Manually selecting it using what?

Firstly, the difficulties were that the VM would not start after the update. All efforts after that were to get back to a working state. I've taken copies of those VMs off to another drive and they both still fail with the Automatic Repair issue. 

I recreated a new VM with a new name specifying the memory, cpu etc and added the vmdk to another existing hard disk of some time ago. And that VM is now working with data as of 46 weeks ago - 

But I'm sorry - I confused issues. Just before this incident, my vm was in a state where whenever I started it, it failed to find the .vmdk file that it had been using in the previous session. I would then manually choose the vmdk file using the dialog that appeared and it would work until next time. Then it would repeat whenever I restarted the VM. But that was before the MacOS update.

But that is/was separate from this recent incident. I'm still hoping I can review at least of of those vms because in them Windows and Office etc are activated, unlike this newly built VM.

I hope I've answered your questions adequately.

Thanks

Tony.

0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I intended to say "I'm still hoping I can revive at least one of those vms" because ...

Tony

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There have been reports of this symptom on physical Windows computers if I’m reading my web searches correctly. Have you tried booting Windows installation media, and using its options to repair your VM?  For example, using steps in articles such as https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/preparing-automatic-repair.html

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks Technogeezer

Beyond taking a copy of the two affected VMs, I've done little other than try to get back up and running.

I was certainly stuck into wondering why two separate files, that are nothing to do with the update, could get so affected by a Mac update that they were rendered useless. I was so convinced that the update negatively affected the files, that I expected to read about it here, expecting it to be  Mac thing rather than a Windows thing.

But the reality is that I don't know the reason.

It's clear now that I need to move past that.

Having said that I will certainly peruse the link you sent.

I thank you very much for your time and attention.

Tony.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree that it's strange that these VMs are behaving like this. A macOS update "shouldn't" have caused this but there are times when it does some wonky things. But trashing a VM shouldn't be one of them. You also don't know if Windows was applying an update either.

Could you also post the .vmx file of one of the affected VMs to see if there's something there that might give us a hint on what's going on?

Also are you running any kind of AV on the Mac? And if so, have you configured it to not scan virtual disk files? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You also don't know if Windows was applying an update either

There were no VMs running while the update was taking place. I have copies but I only use one at a time. And that one was shut down cleanly in advance of the update.

Could you also post the .vmx file of one of the affected VMs to see if there's something there that might give us a hint on what's going on?

Here is the contents of one of the .vmx files.

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "19"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "WIN10X64_22AUG20.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
displayName = "WIN10X64_22AUG20"
usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = "TRUE"
sensor.location = "pass-through"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "522124ea-398d-1b4e-9da2-c40c96d064aa"
guestOS = "windows9-64"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
sound.autoDetect = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.present = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "4"
memsize = "16384"
mem.hotadd = "TRUE"
sata0.present = "TRUE"
nvme0.present = "TRUE"
nvme0:0.fileName = "DBF19VM-disk1-cl1.vmdk"
nvme0:0.present = "TRUE"
sata0:1.autodetect = "TRUE"
sata0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
sata0:1.fileName = "auto detect"
sata0:1.startConnected = "FALSE"
sata0:1.present = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci.present = "TRUE"
svga.graphicsMemoryKB = "8388608"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
serial0.fileName = "thinprint"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
extendedConfigFile = "WIN10X64_22AUG20.vmxf"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
chipset.useAcpiBattery = "TRUE"
chipset.useApmBattery = "TRUE"
ulm.disableMitigations = "TRUE"
bios.bootOrder = "HDD"
bios.hddOrder = "nvme0:0"
numa.autosize.cookie = "40012"
numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "4"
uuid.bios = "56 4d b4 7e ba 3d 88 70-ea 94 44 56 e4 81 d4 10"
uuid.location = "56 4d b4 7e ba 3d 88 70-ea 94 44 56 e4 81 d4 10"
vm.genid = "-4225319358937349008"
vm.genidX = "-1750206948728131716"
nvme0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "160"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
usb_xhci.pciSlotNumber = "192"
sata0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
nvme0.pciSlotNumber = "224"
svga.vramSize = "268435456"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
vmotion.checkpointSVGAPrimarySize = "268435456"
vmotion.svga.mobMaxSize = "1073741824"
vmotion.svga.graphicsMemoryKB = "8388608"
vmotion.svga.supports3D = "1"
vmotion.svga.baseCapsLevel = "9"
vmotion.svga.maxPointSize = "189"
vmotion.svga.maxTextureSize = "16384"
vmotion.svga.maxVolumeExtent = "2048"
vmotion.svga.maxTextureAnisotropy = "16"
vmotion.svga.lineStipple = "0"
vmotion.svga.dxMaxConstantBuffers = "15"
vmotion.svga.dxProvokingVertex = "0"
vmotion.svga.sm41 = "1"
vmotion.svga.multisample2x = "1"
vmotion.svga.multisample4x = "1"
vmotion.svga.msFullQuality = "1"
vmotion.svga.logicOps = "1"
vmotion.svga.bc67 = "9"
vmotion.svga.sm5 = "1"
vmotion.svga.multisample8x = "1"
vmotion.svga.logicBlendOps = "0"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:81:d4:10"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-461253616"
monitor.phys_bits_used = "45"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
softPowerOff = "TRUE"
usb:1.speed = "2"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:1.port = "1"
usb:1.parent = "-1"
usb_xhci:4.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci:4.deviceType = "hid"
usb_xhci:4.port = "4"
usb_xhci:4.parent = "-1"

Also are you running any kind of AV on the Mac? And if so, have you configured it to not scan virtual disk files? 

No I'm running no AV on the Mac and so no configuration re scanning files.

Tony

0 Kudos