VMware Communities
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My Fusion virtual machine is stuck in full-screen mode

I have an OS X 10.7 virtual machine that was running in a 1024 x 768 window on my 27" Retina iMac.  Desiring a larger display/desktop size, I first tried simply resizing the Fusion window, but all that did was magnify the 1024 x 768 display.  I was also unable to change the native display size in OS X > System Preferences > Displays.

Eventually, I made the mistake of clicking the green zoom button on the Fusion window, expecting it would expand the window to the maximum size (with a window border) under the Fusion menu bar.  Instead, I now have a full-screen OS X window with no Fusion menu bar and no apparent ability to get out of full-screen mode.  Since there's no window border, there's no green button to unzoom the window.

Moving the mouse to the top of the screen does display the Fusion menu bar.  I'm able to shutdown the virtual machine.  But when I restart it, it's back in full-screen mode.

How can I escape full-screen mode?

-- Ward

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Ward,

To exit out of the full screen mode, click on View menu in the tool bar and choose Single Window.

Alternatively use the following key combination : "Control + command + f "  ( can be used to toggle b/w full screen and single window )

Regarding display resolution, have you tried installing VMware Tools ?

If not, click on Virtual Machine menu > Install VMware Tools.

Cheers! Avanish

View solution in original post

2 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Ward,

To exit out of the full screen mode, click on View menu in the tool bar and choose Single Window.

Alternatively use the following key combination : "Control + command + f "  ( can be used to toggle b/w full screen and single window )

Regarding display resolution, have you tried installing VMware Tools ?

If not, click on Virtual Machine menu > Install VMware Tools.

Cheers! Avanish
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, avanish321!

View menu > Single Window restored the Fusion toolbar at the top of the window and enabled the window border controls so I could resize the window (still scaling the 1024x768 OS X display).

Installing VMware Tools added a raft of display sizes to System Preferences > Displays. I now have a 1600x1024 display.

-- Ward

0 Kudos