VMware Communities
pdxrealtor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Fusion Situation.... Can It Be Fixed??

So.... long story short I've been a PC user for 15 years and jumped on the MAC ship. I really like it for the most part. I've been using Fusion and the MAC for a couple weeks now and would like to hopefully button a couple things up to make life easier.

The primary reason for using Windows is MS OUTLOOK. I can't stand Entrouage, or maybe I just wasn't use to it?? IN any event, Entourage is not an option.

My first situation is this:

When opening an attachment in a received email, is there ANY way to choose the default sofware? For example, I get a MS Word attachment, or .PDF attachment. I would very much for uniformity and getting away from Windows reasons be able to click on that attachment and have the MS MAC version of Office open the Word doc, or the Adobe Acrobat Pro version on my Mac open that .PDF attachment. Please tell me this can me done....

Also, for example, I have two different ways to scan to email from the MAC OS. One is Adobe Pro, and the other is the Brother software. Both do not know how to find MS OUTLOOK.

Situation 2

Same sort of problem, only with the web browser (IE7). I HAVE to use IE 6 + for one site that I visit frequently. Everytime I open a .PDF from the IE7 browser, it uses Adobe Reader from Windows. Is there any way to, again, point the browser to use the Mac software??

I guess you could sum up my problems as needing to set default programs in Windows to not be used, instead having the default program settings be my choice of Mac software.

One more example then I'll quit. When attaching an attachment to an email there is no "preview" of the image when going through the "shared" folder into the MAC OS. I have to pop open finder and drag and drop the pictures into the email if I don't have my pictures all nice and named... which I don't!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ow... please don't use all caps, I find it annoying to read. You can use ">" to quote (e.g. added automatically with the quote button, or you can manually copy/paste), or use color, or something.

What does HGFS stand for?

HGFS is an abbreviation for Host/Guest File System. I use it to distinguish between Fusion's Shared Folders and other forms of shared folders, such as network shares. See also .

Your subsequent problems are due to the files of interest not being in a HGFS shared folder. For IE7, if you can change the temporary directory it uses to be in a HGFS shared folder (I don't know if you can or how you would do this), I think it should work. For Outlook, this can be done, but requires editing the registry. See

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A few things are necessary:

1. Install VMware Tools. Hopefully you've done this already anyway, it's generally a good idea.

2. Keep the documents you're interested in in a HGFS shared folder.

3. In the virtual machine's settings, in the Sharing section, allow the virtual machine to open applications on your Mac (for security reasons, this is off by default).

4. In the virtual machine, tell Windows to open files of a particular type (e.g. pdf) with Default Host Application. Or if you're only interested in a one-off approach, not all, you can right click a document and choose Open With.

5. In Fusion's Preferences, tell Fusion to open web pages with your browser of choice.

One more example then I'll quit. When attaching an attachment to an email there is no "preview" of the image when going through the "shared" folder into the MAC OS. I have to pop open finder and drag and drop the pictures into the email if I don't have my pictures all nice and named... which I don't!

Sorry, I'm not really understanding this. Can you try again, maybe with pictures?

0 Kudos
pdxrealtor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.. I am going to try that right now!

In the mean time, how do I take a screen shot on the Mac and will it work in VM?

0 Kudos
pdxrealtor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A few things are necessary:

1. Install VMware Tools. Hopefully you've done this already anyway, it's generally a good idea.

DONE

1. Keep the documents you're interested in in a HGFS shared folder.

WHAT DOES HGFS STAND FOR?? I HAVE A MY MAIN MAC FOLDER SHARED WITH THE VM. DO I NEED TO MORE??

1. In the virtual machine's settings, in the Sharing section, allow
    the virtual machine to open applications on your Mac (for security
    reasons, this is off by default).

THIS IS DONE, AND HAS BEEN DONE

1. In the virtual machine, tell Windows to open files of a particular
    type (e.g. pdf) with Default Host Application. Or if you're only
    interested in a one-off approach, not all, you can right click a
    document and choose Open With.

I WASN'T SURE WHERE TO GO, SO I COPIED AN EMAIL ATTACHMENT TO THE DESKTOP AND RIGHT CLICKED IT. SURE ENOUGH THE OPEN WITH DEFAULT HOST APP. CAME UP, BUT IT WOULD NOT LET ME OPEN THE FILE. I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING 'THE FILE IS NOT IN A FOLDER SHARED WITH THE HOST AND CAN NOT BE OPENED BY THE HOSE'. THIS IS HOW I HAVE BEEN GETTING BY, DOING EXACTLY WHAT THIS ERROR MESSAGE IS TELLING ME TO DO. I SAVE MY EMAIL ATTACHMENT TO MY SHARED FOLDER AND THEN GO TO THE HOST AND OPEN... THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO AVOID. I WANT TO CLICK ON THE ATTACHMENT RIGHT FROM OUTLOOK AND HAVE THE DEFAULT HOST APP OPEN IT.

1. In Fusion's Preferences, tell Fusion to open web pages with your browser of choice.

GOT THIS DOWN. WORKS GREAT. IT'S WHEN I'M IN THE FUSION BROWSER (IE7) AND CLICK ON A .PDF, OR ANY OTHER WEB ATTACHMENT, THAT I WOULD LIKE THE HOST APP TO OPEN IT UP. IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS ???

Sorry for all the caps... it was a quick and easy way for me to let you easily identify my replies....

0 Kudos
pdxrealtor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bump.... home for the night. Can somone help me finish this off? I've messed around with it and must be missing something!!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ow... please don't use all caps, I find it annoying to read. You can use ">" to quote (e.g. added automatically with the quote button, or you can manually copy/paste), or use color, or something.

What does HGFS stand for?

HGFS is an abbreviation for Host/Guest File System. I use it to distinguish between Fusion's Shared Folders and other forms of shared folders, such as network shares. See also .

Your subsequent problems are due to the files of interest not being in a HGFS shared folder. For IE7, if you can change the temporary directory it uses to be in a HGFS shared folder (I don't know if you can or how you would do this), I think it should work. For Outlook, this can be done, but requires editing the registry. See

0 Kudos