VMware Communities
NeilBradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Multiple NICs under Fusion

Well, today I just became a Fusion user on my brand new Mac Pro. I'm also a VMWare Workstation user, and I'm wanting to migrate its FreeBSD 6 VM over to my Mac Pro running Fusion, hence my question.

On my VMWare Workstation machine, I have the following VMNets set up:

VMNet0: Intel(R) Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter #5

VMNet2: Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection

VMNet0 is my WAN, and VMNet2 is my LAN. VMNet2 has public IP addresses, and VMNet0 has my NAT'd network - NAT services provided by the FreeBSD 6 VM, in addition to FreeBSD 6 routing between the two network interfaces.

Both VMNet0 and VMNet2 are set up as custom virtual networks bound directly to each NIC. My question is, how do I perform this same operation on my Mac with Fusion since Fusion doesn't have custom networking capabilities? Is doing a bridged network configuration the right thing to do?

I don't really care how things need to get configured, or even if the FreeBSD 6 VM is doing the NAT work, but I do need the FreeBSD 6 interfaces to have direct access to the WAN and the LAN simultaneously since the FreeBSD 6 VM provides public (WAN) services and private (LAN) services, too.

Is this possible? If someone can give me some pointers on how to make this properly work, I'd be eternally grateful. Even an RTFM pointer would be great. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The first sticky thread on this entire group labeled "User Contributed documentation for disk and network management " has exactly what you need. Goto: http://www.vmware.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=371&start=0 to find it.

What you should find is a message with Dave Parson's "most excellent 'How to modify VMware Fusion network settings whitepaper'."

Of course, what you are trying to do is totally possible with Fusion, just that you might really find the above links helpful since the Fusion VM settings are really overly dumbed down[/u].

HTH.

[b]To the VMware staff that may be reading:[/b][/u]

I'm sure I'm not the only customer that sincerely hopes a later revision of Fusion will include an "advanced" area for VM setup and configuration; I've had to write far too many variables into text files for my liking on what could be a much better OS X application. This is especially annoying when configuring several virtual machines. OS X on a Mac Pro is likely far more powerful than most generic PC workstations, so why cripple Fusion's appeal to the OS X workstation users?

And just because I had used the word "workstation" doesn't mean you're required to make two, or more, software product versions and charge $500+ for the "ultimate" version with my feature requested above. That kind of marketing crap is also why a lot of us don't like the company or products as sold by that software firm in Redmond.

Otherwise, this is a great 1.0 release application and I hope you take this constructive criticism and continue to create a very competitive product.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The first sticky thread on this entire group labeled "User Contributed documentation for disk and network management " has exactly what you need. Goto: http://www.vmware.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=371&start=0 to find it.

What you should find is a message with Dave Parson's "most excellent 'How to modify VMware Fusion network settings whitepaper'."

Of course, what you are trying to do is totally possible with Fusion, just that you might really find the above links helpful since the Fusion VM settings are really overly dumbed down[/u].

HTH.

[b]To the VMware staff that may be reading:[/b][/u]

I'm sure I'm not the only customer that sincerely hopes a later revision of Fusion will include an "advanced" area for VM setup and configuration; I've had to write far too many variables into text files for my liking on what could be a much better OS X application. This is especially annoying when configuring several virtual machines. OS X on a Mac Pro is likely far more powerful than most generic PC workstations, so why cripple Fusion's appeal to the OS X workstation users?

And just because I had used the word "workstation" doesn't mean you're required to make two, or more, software product versions and charge $500+ for the "ultimate" version with my feature requested above. That kind of marketing crap is also why a lot of us don't like the company or products as sold by that software firm in Redmond.

Otherwise, this is a great 1.0 release application and I hope you take this constructive criticism and continue to create a very competitive product.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Constructive criticism as well as suggestions are always appreciated. We will consider this in future releases.

0 Kudos
NeilBradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wes, thank you very much for this information. I'll head on over and check out the link. Thanks again!

0 Kudos