VMware Communities
loobola
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Monitors and Unity 3.0?

I am on a trial and tried Fusion 2. I have dual monitors connected to my graphics card independently via DVI connectors. My Mac environment encompasses both of these screens and I am a Parallels user of 3 years which I use in coherence mode. In this mode I can drag both Mac and PC applications around across both monitors. I have been having performance issues with Parallels and so wanted to try Fusion. I converted by Parallels environment over to Fusion and it runs fine.

However my issue is that when in unity mode I can't properly drag a windows window over to the 2nd monitor. When I try it just starts grinding to a halt and starts to slowly move the window off in a random direction.

I have since upgraded to 3.0 hoping that would have full dual monitor support but I get the same issue. Is this a specific issue with my set up or is it a known limitation of Fusion and unity?

Thank you for your time and help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Sounds like VMware Tools may not have been properly installed. Try uninstalling then reinstalling VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
loobola
Contributor
Contributor

I will indeed try that when I get home.

Seems strange that it didn't work with version 2.X and now doesn't work either with 3.0 as after both installs fusion tools are reinstalled.

The only other non standard thing I can think of is that under monitor set up in windows the 2 screens are set at different sizes (as I think thats how parallels does it such that it doesn't include the menu on the top of the main monitor). Is there any guidance on identical screen resolutions with fusion?

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

0 Kudos
loobola
Contributor
Contributor

Ok i tried reinstalling tools and still the same issue. Upon the conversion of my parallels environment to fusion the only issue I had was an error message relating to the lack of drivers for the mouse. I wonder if it could be related to this? Its when I drag a window and hence the mouse on to my second monitor it just freezes up and refuses to drag the window over correctly. It all works fine on the single monitor.

I really want to give fusion a fair try but just having the use of one screen is impossible and as its a trial I cannot get any support from them other than on these forums. Any further suggestions are appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to stick with Parallels.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
keithr4321
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having problems with running multiple montors using Unity. I am running Fusion v3.0.2 on a host Mac with Snow Leopard. The guest OS is Windows XP. I have uninstalled and re-installed VMWare tools, but the 2nd monitor does not work with any Windows XP program.

I came from Parallels and it had great support for dual monitors.

How can I diagnose this issue?

0 Kudos
leonxki
Contributor
Contributor

I too had the same issue.

Running a Windows XP Professional SP3 Guest OS with different resolutions across both monitors.

I just re-installed VMware tools and I'm happy to say that it now works and my mouse on the other screen is just as responsive as the main.

0 Kudos