VMware Communities
jordan1
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Bootcamp Partitions

I recently installed 18 Mac Pro workstations at a customer location and have begun running into a few issues. Windows is installed on a separate hard drive in the Mac Pro that is exclusively used for Windows. After a reboot or two of the Mac the Virtual Machine Library finds another Boot Camp partition on another disk. In reality this is the same installation and only one of the two listed VMs actually works. I personally have the same issue on my home computer, and while I don't care, the customer is annoyed because of other issues that become apparent in Unity mode. Once a second VM appears your Dock icons may or may not work as they seem to link to the disk location. If you select the wrong icon, if you make second for the second VM, VMware appears load but really just sits there with a blank application essentially. You essentially have to configure two VMs in the library and guess at which one is working today. It seems minor, but for users that are not technically adept it is causing some fairly serious concern.

I have attached a screen grab of what the Virtual Machine Library looks like.

Please help.

jordan@forgetcomputers.com

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue. Fusion currently uses paths like /dev/disk0 to identify which partition a Boot Camp virtual machine uses. However, OS X does not always number disks the same way between boots, which causes Fusion to think that you've swapped out disks. There is currently no workaround, but the developers are aware that this duplication is annoying.

0 Kudos