VMware Communities
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Multi-monitor support lost in 3.0

I have two monitors connected to my Mac Pro, and now only one works under Fusion 3.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Works fine for me too - I spot checked both Ubuntu 9.04 and XP in fullscreen and Unity. Which view mode are you using? If fullscreen, have you chosen View > Use All Displays in Full Screen?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
blakemiddleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here. I downgraded to 2.0.6 until this is fixed.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sorry about the trouble!

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, VMware Tools? What version of Windows are you running?

I use multimon every day with Fusion 3, so it's definitely not broken in general.

0 Kudos
Jay_Levitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think I'm seeing this. I have two monitors, Leopard 10.5.8, Mac Pro (early 2008), ATI 4870 graphics card. I upgraded VMWare Tools in my Windows XP guest, and I can drag Microsoft Word 2007 freely between monitors in Unity mode with 3.0.0.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Works fine for me too - I spot checked both Ubuntu 9.04 and XP in fullscreen and Unity. Which view mode are you using? If fullscreen, have you chosen View > Use All Displays in Full Screen?

0 Kudos
blakemiddleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the tools. The second monitor shows the background when you activate multiple monitors, but when you try to click or drag a program to it, the mouse pointer turns back into the OSX black pointer and moves across the screen. Also, the mouse tracking seems to be really slow, and doesn't match with the tracking in OS X 10.6.1. This was in a new install of Windows 7 x64 and fresh install of the vmware tools. Another problem is that windows doesn't remember the screen resolution in full screen mode. I have to switch to windowed mode, then back to full screen to get the resolution to correct. My system is a Mac Pro Early 2006 with 2 dual core Xeon processors, 8 gb ram, and ATI Radeon HD 3870. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using XP in full screen mode under Snow Leopard on an early 2008 Mac Pro with dual 2.8s, 14GB of RAM and ATI 4870. I see the same with another Windows 7 32-bit VM.

I am not at the office right now, so I don't know if the Use All Displays in Full Screen mode is selected or not. I'll check in the morning.

Edit: FWIW, I am using a 24" Apple LED Cinema Display via Display Port and a 23" Apple Cinema Display on the DVI port (only one video card).

0 Kudos
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From my post where I was talking to myself for a little while -- http://communities.vmware.com/message/1400792 -- seems like the same issue (weird mouse behaviour, etc.)

I've sorted this out now -- a complete removal of the Fusion tools in Safe Mode as well as clearing all VMWare-related drivers out of c:\windows\system32\drivers - followed by a restart and then complete re-install of the Fusion tools.

There seems to be some weird version conflict between older editions of the tools -- windows grabs the 'newer' version of some driver from somewhere.

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to use both screens after choosing Use All Displays in Full Screen.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TimMcManus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are multiple monitors supported in Unity?

I thought they were in 2.0, and I upgraded to 3.0 thinking they were still supported. If they are, I cannot get them to work properly in WinXP.

0 Kudos
DoubleJ333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are multiple monitors supported in Unity?

I thought they were in 2.0, and I upgraded to 3.0 thinking they were still supported. If they are, I cannot get them to work properly in WinXP.

I can use both monitors in Unity mode (running Vista x64 and w7 x64 w/Snow Leopard 64) but its severely buggy, 2.0.6 worked (mostly) flawless. When I switch from windowed to Unity, the taskbar shifts to my other monitor and I have to configure Windows everytime to use the proper monitor for the primary (never did this in 2.0). You can't remove the application icons from the mac bar as far as I can tell either, I can't find the setting to disable it like in 2.0. Getting out of Unity is a pain too because the mac bar now shows the current window in focus (ie when you are in FireFox it says FireFox and not VMWare like 2.0) so you don't have the menu item to exit. If you have 2 VMs open the only way I can get out is with the hotkey.

0 Kudos
TimMcManus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just got Unity to work with multiple displays a moment ago. It took a few reinstalls of VMWare Tools and a trip into Safe Mode also. I opted to do a Complete Install of the VMWare Tools and that seemed to do the trick.

0 Kudos
JMarkevich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have multi-monitor in unity, but it's messed up. I can kinda drag a window, at least halfway to the second monitor, but it doesn't seem to work there, the mouse won't click on it in that window, etc.

I went into safe mode (XP) but I can't uninstall anything because the installer service isn't running (and won't run). I deleted a bunch of vm*.dlls (that were signed by VMWare Inc.) and rebooted, but now I'm having misery getting the tools installed again.

Any hints?

0 Kudos
TimMcManus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed VMWare Tools prior to going into Safe Mode, sorry, I should have clarified that. I wanted to check to make sure there wasn't any residual files there, and there weren't.

When I rebooted, I did a Complete Install of the VMWare Tools instead of the Typical installation. This did two things: I had an error each time I installed VMWare Tools that said the mouse driver wasn't installed properly, and Unity started to work properly.

The symptoms you are experiences are identical to the ones I experienced. Uninstalling and Complete Install worked for me.

0 Kudos
JMarkevich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I got it now. I was in an insanity loop because VMTools kept putting my My Documents folder back to shared folders... which wasn't working... I finally figured out that I needed to disable shared folders and then I could uninstall and do the complete reinstall.

This is a pretty messy upgrade, I must say...

0 Kudos
ckmartinez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear VMWare,

I have been successfully running 3 - 30" monitors to create a continuous XP workspace using the most recent versions of Fusion 2.0 quite successfully for many months. When I install Fusion 3.0 - everything is messed up. XP "squishes itself" to take up about 2/3's of one 30" monitor (but is displaying the information normally on the 3 monitors) and is unresponsive and unusable..the other 2 monitors are black. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion 3.0 numerous times - done safe boots, fixed permissions, etc. all with no luck.

Fortunately I did a complete hard drive back up of my system, which I am in the process of restoring so I can go back to using Fusion 2.0x.

Kindly let us all know when you have fixed Fusion 3.0 so it will upgrade properly and without a few hours of wasted effort. I will then give it another go.

Thanks.

Chuck

0 Kudos
CounselorTroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also having problems with multi-monitors in 3.0. Worked great in 2.x. Tried reinstalling the VMTools, but that has not fixed it either.

0 Kudos
JMarkevich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, here's my analysis, and I have done this on a couple of different versions of Windows, so follow this and it should work.

1) Boot up to your old VM.

2) Turn off Folder Sharing. You may need to log out and in again.

3) Right-click on "My Documents" in explorer and select "Reset to Default". Say NO when it asks if you want to move everything.

4) UNINSTALL VMWare Tools, and reboot.

5) When it comes back, cancel all of the dialogs that offer to install default drivers.

6) Install VMWare Tools, and select "Complete" and not just typical install. Reboot and you should be OK.

If you don't turn off folder sharing you will get some error about an "invalid character in My Documents path" or something like that when trying to uninstall VMWare Tools.

If you don't uninstall, and install new ones right on top, it won't work right.

0 Kudos
ckmartinez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear JM,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I did get it running "better" but just not correctly like in runs in 2.06. I do believe VMware has more work to do on this release and it is not useable for me with my 3 - 30" monitors. I still end up with a squished image on one monitor in the single window mode and I cannot get windows to properly go into the correct extended display desktop resolution (7680 x 1600) and have it spread itself out properly over the 3 monitors, like it does in 2.06. Under 3.0, windows keeps insisting my display space to be something like 7680 x 3200, and nothing I do can get it to adjust down to the proper, 3 combined monitor, resolution of 7680 x 1600. I'm restoring my hard drive again (2nd time today!) and will continue to use 2.06 until I hear that 3.0x? is really finished. I've wasted too many hours on this.

Again, I really do appreciate your help JM!

VMWare - are you listening?

Best regards,

Chuck

0 Kudos
hassler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a MacPro 1,1 Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66x2

7gb of Ram

And what I think most important in my issue, Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT

I have a Windows 7 VM that I have used with Fusion 2 for a while now. I wasn't really expecting that to be a smooth transition to Fusion 3 and it wasn't.

So I just took the oportunity to start from scratch with a brand new VM of Windows 7 created with Fusion 3

Pretty much the same thing happens with the new one as the old one. When I start the machine I get a mirror image on each of my 2 screens. I can then click view and use single window full screen and then switch back to use all monitors and the screen goes into extend mode like it should. But then I will click on something and my mouse jumps to the far right of the screen. This does not happen with every click, usually when I am advancing a window or something like that. Then I went to open my SCCM console and it asked me if I would allow it to open, I clicked yes and the screen flickered and went back to mirrored.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on in my situation. I mean this VM is from scratch with no other VMware Tools installed but that of Fusion 3.

0 Kudos