VMware Communities
RogueWarrior
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multi Select in Windows does not work

Hello Guys,

In Outlook (using Fusion), if I left mouse click and hold down the control key - I get a drop down. I want this to occur on my Mac, but when I switch to Windows (within fusion), I want it to act like a Windows Box, which would allow me to select multiple items within a list - like multiple messages within the mail view of outlook. Also, Control arrow moves me between desktops for expose - but again within Word it should act allow me to move around the document, like it does within normal Windows.

Am I missing a setting for Fusion - or am I out of luck?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that you will then not be able to perform a right-click in the VM unless you use an external mouse (like USB), or revert the preference setting

Not true! All one needs to do is set the correct Trackpad or Mouse preferences in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse in OS X.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, I know this problem - in VMware Fusion -> Preferences, uncheck "Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts". Note that you will then not be able to perform a right-click in the VM unless you use an external mouse (like USB), or revert the preference setting

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In Outlook (using Fusion), if I left mouse click and hold down the control key - I get a drop down. I want this to occur on my Mac, but when I switch to Windows (within fusion), I want it to act like a Windows Box, which would allow me to select multiple items within a list

On the VMware Fusion menu bar click VMware Fusion > Preferences... > and uncheck Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts

Edit: Well I refreshed the Browser before I posted and there were no replies yet now there is... oh well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that you will then not be able to perform a right-click in the VM unless you use an external mouse (like USB), or revert the preference setting

Not true! All one needs to do is set the correct Trackpad or Mouse preferences in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse in OS X.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are right, I forgot about this option, sorry for that Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RogueWarrior
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANKS!!!!

You guys rock! With the combination of the VMWare and Mac settings I am a very happy camper.

0 Kudos
wrleeii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, , As you mentioned you'll need a mouse with a right button (and middle

button, if you care) if the mouse shortcuts are disabled. I'm on a

MacBook, so Microsoft's Remote Desktop works well fn-control-click

overrides the Mac shortcut and allows a control-left-mouse button

action. That seems to be a reasonable solution.

Bill...

Bill...
0 Kudos
jimstem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is this the ONLY way to do this? If I use the MacBook Pro's built in trackpad and use the two finger salute to right click, and thus cannot disable the mouse shortcuts, am I just out of luck?

Seems like a HUGE miss on vmware's part....

0 Kudos
jimstem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Someone on another forum answered this: hold down the control AND option keys to multi-select.

0 Kudos
JakeSpot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same issue - I cannot select multiple non-contiguous cells. I am running OS X 10.5.7 on a new MacBookPro. I have deslected "Enable Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts" on the VMWareFusion > Preferences > Mac OS Shortcuts area. I still have the problem in Excel. Actually the behavior is very inconsistent.

In some cases by holding down the control and the alt/option key, I can select multiple non-contiguous cells. However if I have to scroll the spreadsheet (by releasing the keys) I cannot go back and continue selecting additional non-contiguous cells.

Other times by holding down the control and the alt/option key nothing happens. I cannot select multiple non-contiguous cells.

In both cases excel also launches the "Research" dialog box on the right hand side of the screen. It prefills the search portion of this research box with whatever value I am attempting to control+option click.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
jkoett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In VMware Professional Version 11.5.5:

1) Check the profile used by your VM:

Virtual Machine -> Settings... -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Profiles.  Make note of the selected Profile.

2) Disable the "Secondary Button" right-click override fo this Profile:

VMWare Fusion -> Preferences... -> Keyboard & Mouse.  Select the Keyboard & Mouse Profile you noted in step 1. -> Mouse Shortcuts -> Make sure "Secondary Button" is unchecked.

Taking these steps allowed me to multi-select in Windows 10.

Cheers,

Joel

0 Kudos