VMware Communities
oriordan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving the location of an iso/vmwarevm file

I downloaded a Windows ISO image  to the Downloads folder. I mistakenly did my entire VMWare

setup while leaving the file in that folder. Everything is working fine but I'd like to relocate

that file so I can keep the Downloads folder clean. Is there an easy way to do this?

I'm running VMWare Fusion Version 4.1.1 (536016) on a Macbook Pro running Lion 10.7.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shootist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving the ISO file use to create the Virtual Machine and install the OS into the VM should not cause any problems with the actual VM. The ISO was only used to install the OS into the VM. Once installed you could delete it, move it to another location on you computers physical disk or put it on a external disk or thumb drive and it would not effect the VM at all.

As to moving the VM folder and files that can be done also but you would need to import that folder/file system into fusion as another VM. And in doing that the first instance of it would no longer work. The list of VMs in the Library are just links/shortcut to where the actual VM files are located.

But looking at my VM and using the Edit VM setting dialog windows and going to the Options tab there is a section for Working Directory. So it is possible to move the VM folders and files and then POINT the original VM name (Link/Shortcut) to the new folder/file location.

Now be adviced I am looking at VMware player in Win 7 (PC) as I no longer have a Mac and Fusion. So it may be slightly different in Fusion.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shootist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving the ISO file use to create the Virtual Machine and install the OS into the VM should not cause any problems with the actual VM. The ISO was only used to install the OS into the VM. Once installed you could delete it, move it to another location on you computers physical disk or put it on a external disk or thumb drive and it would not effect the VM at all.

As to moving the VM folder and files that can be done also but you would need to import that folder/file system into fusion as another VM. And in doing that the first instance of it would no longer work. The list of VMs in the Library are just links/shortcut to where the actual VM files are located.

But looking at my VM and using the Edit VM setting dialog windows and going to the Options tab there is a section for Working Directory. So it is possible to move the VM folders and files and then POINT the original VM name (Link/Shortcut) to the new folder/file location.

Now be adviced I am looking at VMware player in Win 7 (PC) as I no longer have a Mac and Fusion. So it may be slightly different in Fusion.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
amandasmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check the following information http://communities.vmware.com/message/318007

Hope this information helps you. http://spaceship.sytes.net

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

amandasmith wrote:  Check the following information http://communities.vmware.com/message/318007

I see nothing applicable to the OP's question in the link you've provided and it is for a different VMware Product anyway.

0 Kudos
Shootist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

amandasmith wrote:  Check the following information http://communities.vmware.com/message/318007

I see nothing applicable to the OP's question in the link you've provided and it is for a different VMware Product anyway.

Well I'm glad you said that. I too could not understand how that link had anything to do with the OPs question.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, and I didn't want the OP wasting time with it as what you posted already answer the OP's questions and was on target for what was asked! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
oriordan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the helpful information.

0 Kudos
Shootist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're Welcome.

0 Kudos