149Bway
Contributor
Contributor

Moving from 8.5.10 to Player 12

VMWARE FUSION Version 8.5.10 (7527438\
MacOS MOJAVE 10.14.6
IMAC 21.5 inch LATE 2015
PROCESSOR 1.6 GHZ INTEL CORE i5

I use Fusion 8.5 to access WindowsME in which I maintain databases and do word processing.

If I buy Fusion 12 Player will Fusion 12 recognize the existence of the 8.5.10 and migrate the Windows files from that into 12?

Is the Fusion 12 Player price of $150.00 a complete one-time fee?

Basically is this a brainless process on my part?

Thank you...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dlhotka
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 won't work on Mojave.  If you're asking about upgrading to Monterey, then yes.

The process is: 

1) Shut down the VM (not suspend)

2) Back it up

3) Remove any snapshots

4) Uninstall Fusion 8.5 (drag it to the trash)

5) upgrade to monterey

6) install fusion 12 (if it's for personal use, you can get a free license btw)

7) boot the VM, upgrade the virtual hardware and VMWare tools

As an aside, that VM will never be supported or realistically run on an M1 mac.  Might be worth starting to plan for a migration to modern tools.

0 Kudos
149Bway
Contributor
Contributor

I would really rather stick with Mojave.

Is there a Player edition that will work with Mojave?

My questions regarding migration to the new Player and new player costs still apply.

thank you...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Fusion 11.5 is the last version that supported Mojave. Fusion 11 is no longer sold by VMware - it is considered an end of life version.

If you purchased a Fusion 12 Player license, it can be down-graded to Fusion 11. Unfortunately there does not seem to be upgrade pricing from Fusion 8 to Fusion 12 (upgrade pricing is for Fusion 10 and later).

Fusion 12 Player does have a free personal use license (it's free for non-commercial uses). That would lower your costs dramatically if you were running Catalina or later. But this license is not able to be downgraded to Fusion 11 since no version of Fusion had a personal use license before Fusion 12.

I understand that you may want to keep running Mojave - especially if the iMac has a hard drive instead of an SSD. But Mojave is no longer receiving security updates from Apple, by the way. There are risks to using operating systems that no longer receive security updates from its developer.

0 Kudos