149Bway
Contributor
Contributor

Moving from 8.5.10 to Player 12

VMWARE FUSION Version 8.5.10 (7527438\
MacOS MOJAVE 10.14.6
IMAC 21.5 inch LATE 2015
PROCESSOR 1.6 GHZ INTEL CORE i5

I use Fusion 8.5 to access WindowsME in which I maintain databases and do word processing.

If I buy Fusion 12 Player will Fusion 12 recognize the existence of the 8.5.10 and migrate the Windows files from that into 12?

Is the Fusion 12 Player price of $150.00 a complete one-time fee?

Basically is this a brainless process on my part?

Thank you...

0 Kudos
27 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Snapshots are in the virtual machine menu when you have the vm open - you may not have any.

I would do the manual uninstall - it get's all the bits.  You can try dragging to trash first, then do the manual pieces, but it's just easier to do the latter.

It should prompt you to upgrade the virtual hardware and tools the first time you run it.  If not, then in the settings for the vm, under compatibility, you can change it there.  if you're not prompted to update the vmware tools, you can do that from the virtual machine menu once the guest is booted and logged in.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
jainraje
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. got it. I'm so excited about the update I'm going to do it tonight. I'll keep you posted. Please feel free to send any other thoughts or comments. I'll be checking this thread...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Preparation is 90% of any upgrade task. You have opportunities to protect yourself in the case something goes horribly wrong. Take them.

In the best of all worlds and in the vast majority of cases you may never need to back out of the upgrade. It's nice to know you've planned for it and can do it if you need to.

Good luck.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
jainraje
Contributor
Contributor

A OS update of this nature can go horribly wrong. I have learned over the years  to *always* protect myself w backups. I usually do a disk sector by sector backup using Clonezilla but this time I'm skipping the Clonezilla backup and opting for a time machine backup. I feel OK about it. I'm going to keep you good folks updated...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

👍

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
jainraje
Contributor
Contributor

OMG!! The upgrade completed successfully thanks to you both  @dlhotka & @Technogeezer! Your instructions were followed precisely and the upgrade was successful. Big Sur installed, Fusion Player 12 installed and my Windows VM upgraded. I would never even attempted if it were not for your posts and guidance. You both are the best of the best. Top quality. period!! I can not tell you how grateful I am. I wish you both the *very* best.  I hope this thread helps others as much as it has helped me. Thank-you so very much. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Congratulations!  Glad it all worked out for you 🙂

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A congratulations from me as well! Glad we were able to help or at least steer you in a direction that worked for you.

- Paul (Technogeezer)