VMware Communities
JJas007
Contributor
Contributor

Moving a Windows C: Drive From an External to an Internal SSD

I am running VMware Fusion 12.2.4 on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro.  I run my Windows 10 Pro virtual from an external USB mechanical drive.  I was wondering if there would be any benefit, mostly performance, if I moved the C: Drive to the MacBook Pro internal Solid State Drive.  Any issues I may encounter?  Anyone ever done this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

From what you've said, I'm assuming that your virtual machine resides on the external USB drive.

You don't need to move just the C: drive. Just move the entire VM.

Assuming you have sufficient disk space on the internal drive to not only hold the VM in its current and maximum configured size, all you need to do to move the VM is:

• Shut down Fusion.
  • Move the VM's "bundle" using the Finder to a folder on your internal drive.
  • Start Fusion, right click on the old VM, in the Virtual Machine Library and select Delete. You'll be prompted to either "Keep File" (which will remove the VM from the Virtual Machine Library, but keep the VM and its files the external disk) or "Move to Trash" (which will both remove the VM from the Library and move it to the trash). I would choose "Keep File".
  • Now from the Fusion Menu bar, click File -> Open... Locate the moved virtual machine in the file chooser box that is displayed and click "Open". The VM will be added to the Library in its new location. 
  • The first time you run the VM, you'll be presented with a dialog asking if you moved or copied the virtual machine. Select Moved.

That's it. 

The internal drive is liable to be faster than an external USB drive, but moving the VM to the internal drive means you now have I/O contention with whatever else is running on the Mac's internal drive. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
JJas007
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I was just curious and I am going to leave things as they are as everything, VM & MacBookPro are both working just fine.

Thanks, again.

John 

0 Kudos