VMware Communities
mcgroarty
Contributor
Contributor

Moving a VM to a new volume makes a contained disk image unfindable

I have two virtual machines, "Ubuntu 64-bit" and "Windows XP". Originally both were located in "/Volumes/Bite Size/Bite VM". I copied the two VMs to "/Volumes/232.8/Bite VM" and something funny happened.

The Ubuntu VM still boots, however the Windows VM complains that it cannot find "Windows XP.vmdk". I verified that the original and the copy are byte-identical and had no luck. I renamed "Windows XP.vmwarevm" so that it showed as a directory and I could browse to the contained disk image, and even on selecting the image, it still says it's not found.

Anyone know how I can make the machine see the disk image again?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

Does the .vmx file have any hard-coded paths? I've had this problem with ancient VMs. I'm assuming yours are fresh creations?

mcgroarty
Contributor
Contributor

I looked at the text-based vmdk, not the numbered binary files. There was no hard path there.

Strangely, repeating the copy operation a few times finally yielded one that works. I'd twice verified that the files were binary-identical, but the verification only checks the data forks. I'm guessing there's some problem in the resource fork or file attributes?

0 Kudos