VMware Communities
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Moving Workstation 8 Linux OS to Fusion 4

Greetings,

I'm running Workstation 8 and created a CentOS 6.3 64bit Linux virtual machine which I would like to (migrate, move, copy, export, import) ... which ever works over to my Fusion 4 machine.

I'm new at this and I don't know how to proceed with this operation.  I've done a bunch of Google searches and see some posts about copy or ovf copies or just plain file copies to a dvd and then loading them into Fusion but I'm really not clear on the best way to proceed.

Should I do a file copy from workstation or export then a copy or import to Fusion.  Really confused as to how to go about this.  Any help with the procedure will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
fbonez
Expert
Expert

VM import from Workstation 8 to Fusion 4, can be done in several ways.

I suggest you to export from Workstation as a OVF/OVA file, then import in Fusion 4.

To import an OVF file in Fusion 4, you need the "ovftool" that you can find here: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/

With the new Fusion 5, the import operation is more simple and straightforward without the need of external tool.

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
0 Kudos
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Do I still have to create the entries in Fusion before restoring the OVF backup or will restoring the backup in Fusion create the needed entries to boot the new OS?

Also, was this post answered some place else and if so where?  Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You DO NOT need to export with OVF as suggested by fbonez!  All you need to do is simply copy the Folder containing the files that comprise the Virtual Machine to the Mac and then double-click the .vmx file!  If you want it Packaged like how VMware Fusion creates it then add the .vmwarevm extension onto the Folder containing the files that comprise the Virtual Machine.  You can then also hide the .vmwarevm extension from the Get Info sheet in Finder.  Note: When copying the Virtual Machine make sure you shutdown from within the Guest OS, not suspend and close either the VM's Tab in VMware Workstation or close VMware Workstation itself.

0 Kudos
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I was reading the Doc on OVF and really wished I wouldn't have to cope installing in my Mac and running it with all it's options.

Still one question; how will the new OS appear in the VMware Fusion Open Tab?

Should I create an empty OS and then some how fill in the blanks (whatever they happen to be).

How to create the start information without having to click on the OS file to lunch it...

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just do as I suggested, either double-click the .vmx file or first turn the Folder into a Package by adding the .vmwarevm extension and then double-click it instead.  Either of these actions will load the Virtual Machine and it will also then appear in the Virtual Machine Library.  If you want it in the Virtual Machine Library first then just drag and drop it from Finder onto the Virtual Machine Library, then you can make modifications through the VMware Fusion GUI or Virtual Machine's Settings before starting it for the first time on the Mac.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, WoodyZ's absolutely correct. VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion both use the same exact kind of virtual machine so you don't need to do any importing or exporting. All you need to do is tar/zip/copy/whatever the folder containing the VM from your Linux machine to your Mac. Fusion adds a nice little touch in that if you rename the folder from something like "VirtualMachine/" to "VirtualMachine.vmwarevm/", it will associate that folder with Fusion and you can launch the VM via that folder/bundle directly instead of having to navigate inside it to the .vmx file directly.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Other then your acknowledgement towards what I've already said I've already mentioned adding the vmwarevm extension, etc.!  So, no offense intended, you've only repeated what I've already said! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No argument there. Just trying to back up what you said. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos