VMware Communities
MrJingle
Contributor
Contributor

Moving Windows XP SP3 from Virtualbox to Vmware Fusion 6.0 - No sound (SOLVED)

EDIT:

Ok, I've found a solution. I'll post it here, for future reference.

It seems like that importing from Virtualbox keeps some of the old "helper" drivers, which seems to create a conflict with the new Fusion devices.

What I did is the following:

1. From Device Manager, Enable "Hidden devices". It will show some existing devices starting with VBOX. Remove all of them. Remove also all the standard drivers referencing non-existing devices. To check if the driver is not in use, from the "Properties" see if it displays an Error 45
  2. Some of those elements won't be easily removed, like "Previous sound drivers" or "Previous Video Devices". There are several solutions online for this. I just forced Windows to replace them with a different device driver and then I just removed them altogether.
  3. Remove the "Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM)" device.
  4. Be sure to have downloaded the latest Creative Drivers from Windows Update. Reboot. Once the system will be restarted, Windows XP will start installing the drivers again. Select the latest Creative Audio driver.

Hopefully, you should be able to get the sound working.

----------------------

Hello Everyone,
I've moved an Windows XP (Home, Italian) SP3 Guest from Virtualbox 4.3.10 to Vmware fusion 6.0 - It was easy enough, except for the lack of sound output.

More specifically:

• I've added the sound device from Vmware fusion UI;
  • I've checked the audio level from the windows xp audio mixer;
  • I've checked the devices inside the .vmx file according to this guide;
  • I've updated the Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) (WDM) sound drivers using windows update. Currently Installed versions are 5.2.3633.0, released on 18/06/2002.
  • I've set the Audio HW Acceleration to minimum /disabled.

Strangely enough, if I test the virtual sound card from the dxdiag utility, both the Audio and Midi devices work correctly. But when I try running any app, I still get no sound.

I've also moved a Windows 98SE Guest and it plays sounds fine enough. I've also installed a Windows 8 guest from scratch, again with perfectly working sound.

The host is an i3 iMac Late 2010, running Mac Os X 10.9.2 .

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

MrJingle wrote: ... Strangely enough, if I test the virtual sound card from the dxdiag utility, both the Audio and Midi devices work correctly. But when I try running any app, I still get no sound.

Are you saying that if you bring up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and go to the Sound tab and click Test DirectSound you here sound?  If yes, then it sounds (no pun intended) like the issue is with Windows not VMware Fusion per se?

If you go to the Sounds tab of Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel can you here any of the Event Sounds that have a Speaker next to them when select it and clicking the Play [>] button?

0 Kudos
MrJingle
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, it didn't play any sound.

By the way, I've updated the OP: yes, you're right; it looks more like a driver conflict with Windows XP, not strictly related with Vmware Fusion.

0 Kudos