VMware Communities
PENALOPEZ
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VMWare Fusion Image to new laptop

Currently running Fussion 2.1 on MacBook Pro. Just purchased new MacBook Pro and would like to transfer both VMWare Fusion and current image to the new laptop. What do I need to do?

1. Do I need to purchase new VMWare Fusion license if I remove product from old machine?

2. How do I transfer current image (Windows XP) to new laptop so I don't need to start from scratch?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you remove Fusion from the old computer then I see no reason why you cannot use it on the new computer however if you run Fusion on both then you need two licenses.

As far as the Fusion on the new system goes you need to install it from the CD or the .dmg downloaded from VMware.

If you didn't register Fusion or have you Serial Number written down make sure you get it from VMware Fusion (menu) > License... before uninstalling it.

It is also in a file located at: "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0.200610"

As far as the Virtual Machines (normal file based, not Boot Camp partition) with then shutdown, not suspended, and Fusion closed just transfer from one computer to the other just as you have to with the rest of your user data. By default they are in the Virtual Machines folder in you Documents folder however one is free to place them elsewhere so before you uninstall Fusion see the following...

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Navigating VMware Fusion > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window > Determine the location of a virtual machine's files

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Using the VMware Fusion Interface > Working with Virtual Machine Packages

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos