VMware Communities
samtlila
Contributor
Contributor

Moved Virtual Machine file has ! icon & won't open or import?

I am trying to move my virtual machine file to another machine but the icon is greyed out if I go to import?

Also, if I look in the finder it has an exclamation mark on the icon?

Does anyone know how to solve this so I can get my VM up & running on another machine?

Any help would be appreciated...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

First of all, the "import" functionality does something else.

From the help:

Importing Windows Virtual Machines

You can import into VMware Fusion virtual machines that you created with Parallels Desktop, Microsoft Virtual PC, as well as virtual machines using the Open Virtualization Format (OVF).

You would just use "File -> Open".

If you copied the complete file bundle and the VM is not depending on parts out of its bundle (like a linked clone or virtual disks in other locations) then that should suffice.

Another issue that you might bump into is if the user account is different and you would have to take ownership of the files in that case.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
samtlila
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I didn't realise import was different.

I have looked at the package contents of the file & some parts appear to be missing.  I'm having a problem with the disk where the original file is.

I'm trying to copy the files from the bundle individually.  If I get all of these, could I put them into the original vmware file & it may work?

I'm not looking to get back data, just save setting up a brand new machine & installing everything again,

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It depends a bit on what parts are missing, but you would need any file that ends in .vmdk for sure as those are the virtual disks.

If those are missing then you might not be able to get the virtual machine back up and running.

Copying all files would normally suffice, but if the files are damaged due to underlying hardware failure then you might be out of luck.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dskwared
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Like wila​ said, as long as you have your *.vmdk files, you should be able to recover/rebuild a new VM using those. But I'm curious, what files are you missing? Can you attach a screen shot?

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos