VMware Communities
minDGarden
Contributor
Contributor

Move virtual machine to a different computer

Hi,

Is it possible to move a virtual machine (XP) from one Mac to another, preserving all information?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shut down the virtual machine. Find the folder it is in - probably in your Documents folder under Virtual Machines. Copy that folder to your target machine, putting it in the Documents/Virtual Machines folder. Start Fusion, select File -> Open -> and select the new virtual machine. Fusion should ask if it has been moved or copied. Choose Copied. You may wish to inspect the settings for the VM as there may be local requirements owing to differences between the current host and the previous host.

minDGarden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I get an error when trying 'Failed to connect to peer process'. Fusion didn't ask me if it had been moved or copied.

Is there another approach I can try?

Trying to install a new virtual machine causes an error:

Unable to open file "/Users/XXX/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional 2.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional 2.vmdk": Insufficient permissions.

XXX = myUserName

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
pkx166h
Contributor
Contributor

It looks similar to

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109272

This seems to be uninstall Fusion (leave the actual Virtual Machine files where they are) and reinstall. Then it works.

?

Can't hurt to try.

0 Kudos
minDGarden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I downloaded the latest version of VMware Fusion and followed the instructions. I was then prompted and selected 'Copied It', this seems to have done the trick except one alert (please see attachment) What should I do to resolve this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using some alternative launcher such as Quicksilver to run Fusion? Do you actually have appropriate permissions to that directory?

0 Kudos
minDGarden
Contributor
Contributor

I checked permissions for the folder and they were incorrect. I couldn't change the permissions (strange) so deleted the folder, restarted OS, launched VMware and all OK now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos