VMware Communities
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse not working in Fusion Pro 12.1.0 VM after Big Sur update of 02/02/2021

Hello 

Has anyone encountered this issue of the mouse not functioning within the VM after updating the recent Big Sur Apple Mac update yesterday?

Clicking the mouse in the vm does absolutely nothing making using the VM impossible.

I'd hate to but it seems like a rollback is the only option.

I did notice that prior to the update if I let the VM time out due to inactivity before saving its state, the mouse didn't work again within the VM until I totally shutdown then restart it.

Any help would he gratefully accepted

Thanks

Tony 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor

I should have said that while the mouse does not work, more accurately, is that the VM does not work. The mouse works on the Mac. I can move the VM windows around but not at all within the vm and this is despite doing al the usual things of restarting it etc. Attempts to use the keyboard without the mouse, also fail - I can't help but conclude that I may have made the mistake of coming to rely on this software, that breaks on a whim. Tony

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Tony,

There can be several reason, most are due to apple's changed security measures.

First thing to try:

eg.

Click the 🍎 menu.

Select System Preferences...

Select Security & Privacy

On the privacy tab select "Accessibility"

VMware Fusion should be in the list there and have the checkbox checked.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Wil - I learned a lot from your earlier reply. Based on what you said I noticed that Input Management was not checked even though Accessibility was. I also applied some other permissions that needed selecting. The VM is now working again and for that I'm grateful for you taking the time to step in to help.  

Tony S. 

malbarisumit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi tony,

Could you please explain all the steps that you did. I am facing a lot of issues after upgradation to bigsur

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

malbarisumit,

Please start a new thread instead of tacking onto another one and state your problems.

"A lot of problems" .... is very hard to diagnose.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi malbarisumit

For my situation, if Wil's original advice had said Accessibility, Input Monitoring, Full Disk Access instead of just Accessibility, it would have been the perfect answer.

You need to follow his original advice from System Preferences opening Security & Privacy then to the Privacy tab - and for each of the items where Location Services is shown at the top, work down the list and for each check VMWare Fusion.app in the apps on the right VM if it appears.

I simply needed to follow Wil's advice for the 3 items I mentioned above. You may need to Allow changes using the lock.

I hope this helps you as it did me - Good luck

AnthonyMcd

Matt-with-a-Mac
Contributor
Contributor

AnthonyMcD, your post and advice helped me quite a bit.  To go to Input Monitoring and Full Disk Access were the pieces of the puzzle that I was missing, now I'm back in business with all of my VMs with Fusion 12.1.0 and Big Sur.  Just wanted to say thank you (and that I wished I found your post before losing about 2 hours tinkering).  😁

0 Kudos
AnthonyMcd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Matt-with-a-mac - 

It is ALL thanks to Wil | Author of Vimalin.

Tony

0 Kudos