VMware Communities
chicoboia
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse acceleration curve

Is it possible to make VMWare fusion use the mouse acceleration curve of the guest OS? As most of the gamers probably noticed, apple's mouse acceleration curve differs greatly from windows and linux. It isn't a matter of right or wrong... is just different. And i prefer the windows/linux curve.

I have a macbook unibody 13.3' (late 2008) with snow leopard. I'm running a CentOS 5.4 guest OS with vmware fusion 3.1. The mac os mouse accel. curve is being used... any ideas how to change this?

Cheers, Chico Boia.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

By default the Mac OS acceleration for the mouse is used to make moving the mouse feel seamless between Mac OS and the guest. However, in cases where you want the guest OS to be responsible for the mouse acceleration curve you can change the gaming mouse preference to always optimize mouse for games. However this will cause your mouse to be stuck inside of the VM and will require you to press ctrl-command to get back to Mac OS.

(VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> General -> Gaming -> Always optimize mouse for games)

0 Kudos
chicoboia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Is it supposed to work with linux running as guest OS? (If it does, than we can add CentOS 5.4 to the list of guest OSes whose native mouse accel. curve isn't supported by vmware fusion).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oh I am sorry I forgot that for gaming mouse setting to work on Linux guests you also have to set an option in the VMs .vmx file. Please make sure the VMware tools are up to date before adding the option.

To add the option shutdown the VM quit Fusion and then add the following line to the .vmx file for your VM using a text editor, you might have to right click on the VM and click show package contents to get to the .vmx file.

mks.gamingMouse.vmmouse = TRUE

0 Kudos
chicoboia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

It seems to have worked now. It feels like a mouse running on linux. The only remaining problem is that the up/down movement seems to be inverted. When i move the mouse or the trackpad forward, the cursor goes to the bottom of the screen (instead of going to the top of it). The opposite happens when i move the mouse backwards. Is there an easy way to remap this?

Cheers, Chico Boia.

0 Kudos
markshel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have not seen the inverted y-axis bug you mentioned before but it sounds to me like there is a bug in the VMware mouse driver on Linux. Make sure you have updated the VMware tools inside of the guest. There are unfortunately no options to invert the y-axis.

If updating the tools fails to work there is another option to try. You could enable VMware's vUSB mouse. The vUSB mouse is not enabled by default on Linux guests because some Linux distributions ship X server configurations that are incomputable with it, so it might not work for you but is worth a try.

mouse.vusb.enable=TRUE

0 Kudos
chicoboia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Just an update. I have the latest vmware-tools installed, but the mks line still gives me the mouse with the inverted y axis. Using the vusb line makes the mouse stop functioning.... Anyway, is there a way where i can find a X configuration that will make the mouse work with the vusb line in the CentOS.vmx ?

Cheers, Chicoboia.

0 Kudos