VMware Communities
taythecoug
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse Pointer Problems VMWARE Windows 10

Really strange issue that I cannot figure out for the life of me.

On my iMac I have Windows 10 installed on VMware fusion (whatever the current version is).  While working on the machine, my mouse pointer has been frequently blinking.  Not a huge deal, but weird nonetheless.  32 gigs of ram (16 allocated to VM).  512GB SSD.  Nicely spec'd iMac.

However, when I remote to my computer from home (iMac is work computer, and I use Splashtop Business to remote in) everything works fine on the remote computer, until I open VMware to run Windows.  Mouse pointer works fine, then as soon as I log in to Windows, mouse pointer disappears and only keyboard works.  I have multiple monitors on the host computer, and when I switch to the other monitor (that does not have Vmware open) the mouse works fine.  Switch back to the monitor with VMWare/Windows and the mouse does not work.  This only occurs when I remote in via Splashtop.

I apologize if this is hard to understand, it is a really strange occurrence.  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated as I am a CPA coming up on busy season, and work from home often.  Also, I never had this problem before until I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (via VMware fusion). 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

For a CPA, you should not be scared of giving exact numbers. It would be better to provide exact version numbers of the Fusion instead "whatever the current version is".

Fusion version

macOS version

Windows 10 version

iMac model

screen resolution settings of iMac and the Windows VM

is scaling turned on on iMac and Windows VM?

I am not familiar with Splashtop Business but looking at their website it looks like some sort of remote desktop access software.

As an alternative to giving numbers, you could attach the vmware.log instead. But please provide answers to the screen resolution and scaling as sometimes scaling could introduce mouse pointers having a life of its own with remote desktop access.

There is also something missing. You don't describe what the machine is you access from home. Is it also a Mac or Windows? And is the mouse blinking on the iMac happen when you are using Splashtop Business or when physically using the iMac?

Are you able to access the Windows 10 VM via Splashtop Business? This is to avoid two levels of redirection (first level from home device to the iMac at work and second level from iMac to the Fusion VM).

0 Kudos
taythecoug
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 10.1.1

My home computer is a MacBook Pro. 

I think I may have found a fix - I turned off the setting in VMware that says optimize mouse for gaming.  That seemed to do the trick.

I appreciate your help, sorry I wasn't specific enough.

0 Kudos
Gadget_Freak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  That worked, my mouse disappeared, It reappeared when I set the following:   VMWare Fusion > General > Gaming: Never optimize for Gaming

0 Kudos
ekidwell
Contributor
Contributor

I was having this problem in VMWare Fusion 11.5.0 with macOS Catalina. I was able to solve it:

- Go to Settings -> USB & Bluetooth

- Uncheck the "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows"

I have both a Bluetooth Magic Mouse AND a 3-button/wheel USB mouse hooked up, as well as a Bluetooth Trackpad. Bluetooth mouse still works in VMware Fusion.

I would guess that the problem is that VMware Fusion is getting pointer data in duplicate:

- MacOS is reporting the pointer movement

- AND because the Bluetooth device is shared with Windows, Bluetooth data is also being sent.

- This is JUST A GUESS.

0 Kudos