VMware Communities
lubcke
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring Network Traffic - Permissions

Dear all, I'm facing issues when trying to use a software called Siemens Proneta. It's intended to monitor network traffic and create a list of all components available in the network, besides other functionalities. 

With that said, it has stoped to work since the bellow request started to apear, requesting Administrator Access. 

A virtual machine is attempting to monitor all.png

As this is a lab environment, everything is as it should be, no other variable was added to the testing environment besides this new "Permission Needed" warning. Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@lubcke 

Seems to relate to the software requesting to switch a network adapter into promiscuous mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
lubcke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @scott28tt , thanks for your quick response. Is there a way to understand if the permission is really been given or track if it is the reason why the software I mentioned ceased to work?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is the default behavior.
If a program in your VM asks to monitor all of the network packets on your network then it will prompt you to give an administator's account credentials.

Personally I think that's a "good thing".

If this used to work without having to provide those credentials then you might have changed your VM's network or made other changes to VMware Fusion (such as an upgrade from an older version).

You can suppress this popup if you want, providing that you have VMware Fusion Professional.

In the menu, under VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> Network tab, click the lock

wila_0-1611680979753.png

There's a checkbox near the bottom.
Uncheck it and read the warning that you get carefully.

Agree and you will no longer get those warnings.

Enjoy!

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
lubcke
Contributor
Contributor

An addition information, I tried to run a arp -a command in these two computers connected to the same network at the same time.

First, a Physical Win10 machine.

ARP -a.png

Second, virtualized machine. Win10 over a MacOS BigSur 11.1

Interface 172.25.214.20.png

The first two IP`s that show up in the Physical machine are connected to the network and should also apear in the Virtualized one. 

Any guess on what could be causing such issue?

0 Kudos
lubcke
Contributor
Contributor

This network tab doesn't appear here. Is it "pro version" only? 

I do own a V11 pro, but since I've upgraded to BigSur without checking the compatibility on the VMware side, I got obligated to use the V12 of Fusion. I'm testing it, making sure it worth the upgrade price, instead of just going back on the MacOS side.

General.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is a Pro only feature.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JoelMussman
Contributor
Contributor

For everyone who may read this the image is on the general tab. Remember to look at the network tab, and it doesn’t appear until you unlock the tab. 

0 Kudos