VMware Communities
adjustified
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Monitor hardware not recognized

I got a new monitor (Dell U2413) and need to install display manager software on windows. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. When I tried installing the software, I got an error that the monitor wasn't connected. Any ideas how I can get VM to recognize the correct hardware?

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that the Dell Display Manager Error message says "This program requires a supported Dell monitor and compatible display driver." and what I've highlighted in bold therein lies the problem as the VMware SVGA 3D doesn't present a compatible display driver.  There is nothing you can do! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that the Dell Display Manager Error message says "This program requires a supported Dell monitor and compatible display driver." and what I've highlighted in bold therein lies the problem as the VMware SVGA 3D doesn't present a compatible display driver.  There is nothing you can do! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
adjustified
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can understand that, but in the other screenshot it shows that I have the drivers installed. so confused...

Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I do not interpret the screenshot that way, on the first line it says it detects a "Default Monitor", on the second one what drivers are available and on the third what drivers that are applicable for the monitor.

Woodyz is on the money, you will not be able to use the Dell software in the virtual machine.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should not install, nor attempt to install, video drivers in a virtual machine.  The physical hardware is not available to the guest OS (that's what virtualization is all about).

If you need physical access to the hardware, run boot camp.

0 Kudos