VMware Communities
priesemut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Monitor Color Calibration

Hi folks,

I'm using Fusion 8.5.6 on my MBP with 4 Cores i7 +HT, 16 GB RAM and 1 GB SSD.

For image processing I used an (older) Windows 7 PC so far. Although it's a little bit slow it has to advantages: I can run al fully color calibrated workflow on it and it has a firewire interface for connection mit my Imacon/Hasselbad drum scanner. As Monitor I'm using an EIZO CGW 243 which is calibrated whis an XRite iOne. It's LUT is upload from EIZO's own monitor calaibration program Color Navigator via USB to the monitor itself. By Color Navigator it's very easy to upload different calibations (let's say RGB1998 or sRGB) to the monitor. But, the whole process and software is windows based. Furthermore I'm own a Photoshop version for Windows only and don't want to spend money for a Mac one.

But, because the speed and the easyness to save VMs I'm running more and more apps on Windows VMs on my MBP using Fusion.

But, how do I get the monitor connected to my MBP color calibrated for Windows Apps running in Fusion? Do I have to calibrate the Monitor from my MBP itself oder from within Windows? If the last omne, how can I let windows now, which (physical) Monitor and drivers it should use instead of VMware one?

Second, how do I forward firewire interface from MBP to a Windows VM? May be here is anyone who has connected a Imacon/Hasselblad scanner to make and forwarded this connection to the VM.

Anyway, my biggest topic is the monitor's color calibration in conjunction with using a Windows VM in Fusion.

Any suggestions?

Greetinx

priesemut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
priesemut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi bluefirestorm,

thanks for your feedback and your suggestions!

Meanwhile I found a soultion. I performed the guest calibration like described here

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1619581#1619581

The only difference is I'm running fusion on my MBP and not as described in the post above

workstation on an MS OS.

Greetinx

priesemut

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Colour calibration:

You can simply drag the Windows VM window to the external monitor where you want to run the VM. Running the VM full screen is also possible on an external monitor.

But the question is, does the video driver affect colour calibration? Because when Windows 7 VM runs in Fusion, its video driver would be that of VMware (called VMware SVGA 3D) and not of the MBP. I don't know also whether colour calibration require direct support from the video driver.

Firewire:

VMs in Fusion cannot access FireWire devices directly. So in the case of a scanner which require direct access, the Windows VM running under Fusion will not be able to access. I used to run Windows VM in Fusion on a 2010 MBP with Firewire but it doesn't see any Firewire device. I think it would be a different story if it is Firewire hard drive but the Firewire hard drive would have to be shared as folder to the VM rather than accessed as a Firewire device.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

On second thought about the colour calibration:

The Windows 7 VM Device Manager Monitors show up as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" regardless whether it is running on external monitor or on the MBP built-in screen. I think Windows 7 and later has its own colour calibration tool. With Windows 10 (which is the VM I have), it does allow to add your own icm even for "Generic Non-PnP Monitor".

Perhaps if you run as Windows 7 VM under Fusion on external monitor (by dragging it across); instead of calibrating the Windows 7 VM, you would be calibrating against the MBP driving the external monitor. This way you treat the Windows 7 VM as simply as an application running under MBP video driver settings that requires specific colour calibration.

0 Kudos
priesemut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi bluefirestorm,

thanks for your feedback and your suggestions!

Meanwhile I found a soultion. I performed the guest calibration like described here

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1619581#1619581

The only difference is I'm running fusion on my MBP and not as described in the post above

workstation on an MS OS.

Greetinx

priesemut

0 Kudos