VMware Communities
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Missing kernel

Fusion was working fine w/bootcamp and Vista under 10.5.1. Now when I try to launch bootcamp partition after upgrading to 10.5.2, Fusion unmounts the bootcamp partition and then reports 'missing kernel'

Vista boots fine using bootcamp. Very strange. I see the volume unmount when launching bootcamp partition in Fusion.

What's up?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try to delete the Boot Camp Fusion machine and have Fusion reconstitute it. The Fusion Boot Camp partition is under the Finder's Go menu Go > Go To Folder ... > ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp. Delete the %2Fdev%2Fdisk... folder and re-run Fusion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JDEe
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am not sure why it would unmount the bootcamp partition, but just reinstall fusion(your vms will remain intact) and let me know if you get the same error

0 Kudos
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still unmounts.

Uninstalled, re-installed from the disc image (latest version), launch Fusion, select boot camp image, run, authenticate dialog box shows up, enter password, 2nd drive partition w/Vista disappears from desktop, VM launches, error "missing kernel". Quit VM, drive re-appears on desktop.

Now what?

is this console entry relevant?

3/7/08 4:15:35 PM com.apple.launchd[99] (.com.vmware.fusion[1208]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 1235 PPID 1 vmware-rawdiskCr

Thanks,

Marco

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know about the "missing kernel" message, but it's completely normal for Boot Camp partitions to unmount when you run them in Fusion - we do this to ensure that OS X doesn't try to access the partition at the same time as the guest, which would be bad.

0 Kudos
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, understood, but the VM still will not boot.

Here's the complete error message.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix - reinstall, etc.

file: \windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

Info: windows failed to load because the kernel is missing.

---again, this partition boots fine when rebooted into bootcamp.

Thanks,

Marco

0 Kudos
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I still cannot boot the VM - kernel is still missing. I've re-installed the VM and can boot fine w/boot camp.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to use Fusion.

Thanks,

Marco

0 Kudos
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, any suggestions here? I am unable to use VM Ware Fusion due to this error.

I have re-installed the virtual machine software but am still getting this 'missing kernel' error message.

It says to insert my Windows DVD and restart, which I do, but I get the same error.

The BootCamp partition boots normally.

Thanks,

Marco

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try to delete the Boot Camp Fusion machine and have Fusion reconstitute it. The Fusion Boot Camp partition is under the Finder's Go menu Go > Go To Folder ... > ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp. Delete the %2Fdev%2Fdisk... folder and re-run Fusion.

0 Kudos
nwMarco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. The file was in my user's folder - not the root folder library. That seems to have done the trick.

Cheers,

Marco

0 Kudos