VMware Communities
henry828
Contributor
Contributor

Mirrored Folders settings are all grayed out

When I click on Sharing settings, Share folders is turned on, but the 4 check boxes for mirrored folders are grayed out.

I'm running Fusion 2 with Vista on a BootCamp partition. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Mirrored folders are expected to be disabled for Boot Camp virtual machines. When you boot natively, there would be no way to get at the folders on the OS X partition, so your files would be inaccessible, making it much less useful to be able to boot natively.

0 Kudos
Lacer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I understand the reasoning for disabling them, but here's how I've set up Fusion to work with my Boot Camp partition. I originally had Fusion 1.x installed, upgraded to 2.0, then to 2.0.1 yesterday. First I created two different Windows user accounts: "Fusion" and "Boot Camp", to be used for booting in their respective methods. I also created separate hardware profiles for each so that Windows XP Activation schemes and other hardware-related issues wouldn't affect things as much. For the Fusion user only I would like it's My Documents folder mapped to my Mac's Documents folder. I would prefer My Music to map to Music, My Pictures, to Pictures, etc., but is the nesting folders issue going to cause a problem? And with the setup like I have setting it the default Windows folders to automatically Mirror their Mac counterparts shouldn't be a problem, right? Is there a setting in a .vmx file that I could alter to turn them on? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

2.0.1 solves the nested folder problem, so that will be fine. You can manually set up the equivalent of Mirrored folders - share the special folders and add the registry keys to have Windows use them.

0 Kudos
Lacer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out soon.

0 Kudos
Lacer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 2.0.1 updated fixed the issue. Thanks for your help. BTW, does the fix prevent a user from drag-n-dropping files from one share to another mapped to the same location?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos