NeilBradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migration of VMWare Workstation VM to Fusion VM

I've currently got a FreeBSD guest VM running under VMWare Workstation on an XP host. The VM is configured to directly use the 500 gigabyte drive, and bypass Windows' filesystem altogether. In Fusion, I can't have it just use the drives as far as I can tell.

So, I now need to migrate that physical drive FreeBSD VM image to a file based VM image so I can move it over to Fusion.

The question is, what's the best way to go about this, and is there any possibility of moving it over without any lengthy downtime? Thanks for any pointers/advice you may have.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kalex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hmm. thats a good one. i guess you can try adding an extra drive in your freebsd, then use dd to clone your existing one (physical) to its vmdk couterpart. after that remove physical from config file and add your newly dd'd drive as main one and try it. i don't think converter supports cloning freebsd system.

alex

0 Kudos
mokotoe21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter won't support a hot clone (cloning while the VM is powered on) for Linux but you can try booting from the Converter boot cd and trying a cold clone.

Kalex is right though, converting linux systems is in experimental support.

0 Kudos
NeilBradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! However, I'm doing FreeBSD, not Linux.

Sounds like the only way to do this is a cold clone and move it over. Thanks a lot guys - was hoping for a shortcut but I guess there isn't one!

0 Kudos