VMware Communities
peetz64
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from VMWare Fusion 3.1

I am a former Mac Leopard user that was running Fusion 3.1. I haven't used Fusion since 2014. I bought a new Mac back in 2016. It is running El Capitan, OS X 10.11. Does anyone know if my 3.1 VM will migrate to Fusion 10? My old 3.1 VM was running Win 7, which was an upgrade from Win XP. Is there a stair-step migration process, i.e., migrate to 7 or 8 then to 10?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

First you'll have to get yourself a recent VMware Fusion as Fusion 3.1 won't run on your OS X version.

There's a possibility to use Fusion 10 as a 30 day time limited trial to see if it works out for you.

If it works out for you then buy and assign the license to the install and the time limit will be removed (so no need to reinstall)

Try VMware Fusion or Fusion Pro.

For Fusion 10 the hard host OS requirements are OS X 10.11, although you'll get more on macOS 10.12.

See also:

System Requirements for Fusion

As far as the guest OS concerns, you can just run it.

On booting it will ask to upgrade the virtual hardware and after booting it will try to upgrade vmware tools (and require another reboot)

When it asks "did you copy or move?" answer MOVE as otherwise you will certainly have to re-activate windows.

I only suggest to take a backup of the VM (just use a copy instead of the original VM) before running it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And be prepared for the windows updates to take about 6 hours to run since then.

If you can, upgrade the host.  El Cap isn't getting security fixes reliably anymore.

0 Kudos
peetz64
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, wila and dlhotka, for your replies. I will try the 30-day trial of Fusion 10 sometime in the near future and post my results back here.

0 Kudos