VMware Communities
cmunic8r
Contributor
Contributor

Migration Assistant cannot establish secure connection

I've installed Fusion 3.0.0 (204229) demo and am trying to convert a physical machine to a VM. Every time I give the username/password for the remote machine, I get a message saying 'A secure connection to the host could not be established'.

I've tried the following variations, all to no avail:

Used two different remote machines (Vista Ultimate x86 & Windows 7 x64)

tried each machine joined to and disjoined from an Active Directory domain

verified 'Use Sharing Wizard' (the Vista/Win7 version of 'simple file sharing') is disabled on both machines

tried each with windows firewall enabled and disabled

verified no websites are running on either remote host (using port 443 or otherwise)

tried both the built-in adminstrator account and other self-created administrator accounts (including a domain admin account while joined to the AD domain)

Anyone got any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jjjake01
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody have an answer to this?

I'm running into the same issues, but can't seem to find any lead on resolution.

thank you

0 Kudos
omf2
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, looking at the VMware logs on the Windows PC, I saw that the converter software was trying to start a web service on ports 80 and 443. It couldn't do this because I already have a web server running on those ports. I disabled the web server and restarted the VMware services, and then everything worked fine.

VMware: it'd be nice if an error message popped up in these cases...

0 Kudos
rjjacobson
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, looking at the VMware logs on the Windows PC, I saw that the converter software was trying to start a web service on ports 80 and 443. It couldn't do this because I already have a web server running on those ports. I disabled the web server and restarted the VMware services, and then everything worked fine.

VMware: it'd be nice if an error message popped up in these cases...

This did not work for us. We did not have any web services running (but then not sure where to find them if he had them). What worked was to click on the "?' button on migration assistant and as another poster said follow the instructions on the mac side for firewall and sharing settings. Sharing was not on for the mac so I had to share all of this for the files to migrate. I also had to set it so that in options file sharing for SMB was enabled (it was not). The firewall on the mac was off but I followed the instructions under the question mark button of migration assistant and turned on but let all things through and enabled connections via SMB.

Now that still did not work and the instructions on the PC side did not have this but we found that we had to also share the PC HD files. Once sharing was set on both sides then we got past the error for the "cannot establish a secure connection". However we hit one more error which I will mention. It said the user name of the admin or password on the PC was wrong, which it was not. We scratched our heads a bit but given the propensity of folks to migrate new users on old ones we had a thought. Sure enough the admin name was not the original name but had been changed by the owner and once I changed the login name to the name of the owner in the documents and settings viola it all worked and i am transferring the files as i write (about 25 % done).

It would have been a bit nice to have had this documentation in the manual and not buried in the question mark button and also details on things one might find on the PC side as well that I mention above.

I post this to offer it as a help to others perhaps?

Russ Jacobson

0 Kudos