VMware Communities
fredsilliau
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from one Mac HDD to a SDD with VMware Fusion

Hello,

I use VMware Fusion since 2010.

I recently switched my Mac HDD to a SDD, and wish to transfer my Windows XP VM to the new drive (SDD). I copied the VMWare Fusion application to the SDD, and it launches and seems to work properly.

I copied the VM file "Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" to the SDD also. But the VM doesn't launch on the SDD. After a few minutes wait I have a message "Impossible to find a valid pair process to connect to" (I translated the message from French). Then I can quit Fusion.

The Fusion manual just says to copy to the new drive the app and the VM, and it should work. Would anyone know why it doesn't work ? Shall I do it differently ?

I am using a Mac under Catalina 10.15.7 and Fusion Version 6.0.6 (2684343). The VM is using windows XP Professional.

Thank you for your help !

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

do you have copied the Fusion app? Try to reinstall it again.

And do you copied the whole VM folder also? While there are many other settings and other needed files to run the VM.

Please check this both and will see if it helps.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@fredsilliau wrote:

I am using a Mac under Catalina 10.15.7 and Fusion Version 6.0.6 (2684343).

VMware Fusion 6.x doesn't work on macOS Catalina.. it's that simple.

Nothing to do with your copy of the VM not being correct. You need a newer VMware Fusion. But as Catalina is also already old by now, you can't install the latest.

As you can see on this page: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571
That would be Fusion 12.x (NOT Fusion 12.2.x) or Fusion 11.5.x

IIRC you can still get a free personal license for 12.x via a workaround posted in the forum here.
See: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Obtain-Personal-Use-license-for-Fusion-1...

Now obviously you can only use a personal license if you're not using VMware Fusion for business purposes. If using VMware Fusion for a business then you should buy a new license for the latest version and downgrade that license to version 12.

Good luck,
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos